question

sunnz avatar image
sunnz asked

New Zealand multi plus grid connect approval

I am trying to get my multi plus ii, 5k inverter/charger approved for grid connect use in New Zealand. Has anyone been through this process and got approval. if so, where did you find all the information on the specific technical specification for the inverter, that are needed for the application form. thanks

Multiplus-IIESSgrid
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi

You can install a Tele grid protect relay if it dose'nt pass the lines company requirements, You can install it as a UPS mode to get past the requirments as well. The inverter does still pass the requirments, because the it has not being ratified yet into law, and also the i believe the SANZ are trying to get the this delayed for these inverters.

Are you having a grid tied inverter installed or are you doing a DC coupled only system with the Victron?

Regards

Rob D

Installer & Elelctrician

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
sl1me avatar image
sl1me answered ·

Hi, you might find that the MPII's are no longer approved to connect to the grid in NZ from Dec last year given they don't fully comply with the latest standard AS/NZS 4777.2:2020.

See https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/106681/will-victron-inverters-be-approved-for-stand-alone.html

But its possible your lines company will still allow it so worth a try.

I have the same inverter connected May last year and used a solar installer to arrange a sparky to connect the AC side, obtain the code of compliance and the electrical inspection. You or your installer need to submit an application for distributed generation to your lines company. Plus you need to let your power company know as they may need to arrange for an import/export meter to be installed if you don't already have one.

I think the link below is document to send the lines company with your DG application if the MPII is not already on their approved list.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Certificate-ESS-EN-IEC-62109-1-62109-2-AS-620240.1-AS-NZS-4777.2-MultiPlus-II-(GS)-3k-&-5k.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sunnz avatar image
sunnz answered ·

Hi Rob

Thanks for the info. I'm an electrician but don't have much experience with the grid connect side of solar. I have already installed this system at my place as a personal learning project. I am essentially off-grid but would like to feedback any excess power in the future. Its a DC coupled system, but will be adding pv on my shed with a grid connect inverter connected to my shed sub board, so on the feed out side of the multi. I have looked at the form that needs to be filled out in order to get approval from the lines company. it requests details that don't seem to be readily available on the multi spec sheet. So was hoping to find someone who has gone through this process.

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi Sunnz

Email. phone direct for information.

raduthie@gmail.com

Ph 0272898824

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000