question

jheyboer avatar image
jheyboer asked

Quattro - Can I have A/C from main to charge the Battery and run in Inventer?

I just installed a Quattro 3K and have A/C input 1 connected to the grid and output 1 going to a manually transfer switch. I am trying to figure out if this device can do the below or if I need a separate charger. This is a Off-Grid setup with A/C 1 Input just for charging the battery when it's low. I do NOT want to pass A/C via input 1 to output 1 as all A/C 1 output will always be powered off the inverter.

1) With A/C 1 as Grid input active and mode is in ON state and NOT feed power to the grid
- Have A/C 1 input active with grid power
- Run A/C 1 Output on inverter 24/7
- Have the ability to enable charger via relay when SOC is low due to no sun from cebro. (Have this working in charger only mode & On mode)

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargeroffgridinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The converter cannot perform both charger and inverter roles at the same time, it can only be a charger or an inverter at any one time.
So when AC is available it is passed through and the converter will be in charger mode. It will only go into Inverter mode when the AC is not available and the backfeed relay opens.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jheyboer avatar image jheyboer commented ·
Well that's no good.It would be nice to have the charger feature not dependent on the inverter being off. Looks like I am going to have to buy a dedicated charger.

Is there a way to have A/C on input 1 and use the inverter until the SOC reaches a value, then switch to A/C pass-through and charge the batterys untill SCO reaches %50?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @jheyboer

It's possible to use the 'Ignore ACIN' function within Assistants to automate the use of grid when necessary, And given what you want is akin to using a genset, look to the GeneratorStartStop Assistant. You have some studying-up to do.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:start

When grid is actually allowed it makes no sense to change to dc, then invert back to ac. Just efficiency loss, and is why Victron doesn't provide that option in the same box.

And there's no danger of grid export happening if you don't use the ESS Assistant. Never change your Grid Code away from 'None'.

2 |3000