question

jme avatar image
jme asked

Smart shunt negative figure while charging

I have installed a Smart Shunt SHU050150050 on my boat to monitor the house batteries bank. I have wired it carefully (Minus to battery minus ...). However it gives me only negative figures (normal when power is being drawn) for the consumption even when the battery charger is on .

SmartShunt
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@JME

Are you using more power than the charger is supplying? Is the charger actually working?

You might need to troubleshoot by disconnecting all loads and seeing of the charger passing through the shunt makes a difference on its own.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
jme avatar image
jme answered ·

I am actually getting more power from the charger (tested and working) than the power being drawn

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

What is the battery negative cable connected to, it must be connected to the system / load side of the shunt not direct to the battery. Do you have a cable from the battery negative to a ground connection on the hull or somewhere else, if you do, this must also be connected to the system / load side of the shunt. The only thing connected to the battery negative is the shunt and the only thing connected to the battery side of the shunt is the battery.

2 |3000