question

ret60sp avatar image
ret60sp asked

Changed Battery(s) and now the Multiplus 3000 will not charge the new battery - help!

Today we swapped out three 90Ah 12 Volt VE batteries (270 amps) for a single 5120 watt EG4 12 volt (400 amp) battery and the Multiplus 3000 (not a Multiplus II) shows a low batt red light illuminated and will not charge the new battery. Why? We bypassed the VE Battery Protect and that made no difference. Oddly, the VE Solar MPPT controller will send a charge to it but the Multiplus will NOT. What am I doing wrong?

battery chargingmultiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ret60sp avatar image
ret60sp answered ·

Simon Ytterbom solved the mystery. The multiplus was configured to use an "assist" program in the settings that required communication to the VE BMS. Since the VE BMS is no longer "talking" to VE batteries (the EG4 is not a VE battery) the multiplus would not charge it. As soon as I removed the BMS "assist" feature from the multiplus configuration, the multiplus started charging the EG4 battery.

Now the problem is the multiplus or VE Connect app shows a continual power draw, reducing the SOC on the new battery even though the battery is actually at 100%. I can go in and manually reset the SOC to 100%, but the refrigerator and other AC loads are being misintrepreted by something as DC loads (when they are NOT) and the Connect App shows a constant decline in the State of Charge when the battery indicates 100%.

Any suggestions?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ret60sp avatar image
ret60sp answered ·

There was another problem that kept the EG4 battery from charging/connecting: The 220 Battery Protect was configured with the jumper removed, a wire connecting the BMS to it (as a relay) had to be re-configured in 8C and the original jumper placed across the (remote) posts to re-enable this device to function as it was originally intended as a stand-alone appliance. Lesson Learned: When no longer using the VE BMS system, there are several VE appliance reconfigurations necessary to get the VE system working with non-VE LIFEPO4 batteries.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

sounds like the multiplus is not connected to the battery. turn the mains off and the multiplus on and then check the voltage at the multiplus (check that the correct polarity as well). I suspect you may have a blown fuse or the on off DC selector switch has failed

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic