question

erling avatar image
erling asked

Victron Phoenix Inverter 12V/800W Dead/Overload

Hi

Will a one time overload with a 1900 watt metal grinder kill the inverter instantly or over a period of time.

The fuse inside is not blown but the inverter is totally dead no sound no light.

The manual says it even has proctection against short circuit which would cause a much higher overload than 1900w. So in my view is should just shut down.

Is there a reset function somewhere.

Kind regards

Erling

Phoenix Inverter
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@erling

Short circuit and overload are two totally different events.

What battery do you have, cable size for battery used?

Try disconnect from battery leave it for a while and reconnect.

I have overloaded mine a few times, but with the hair dryer and it just shutdown, but have never overloaded to the extent you have. 1900W continuous means the start up current would have been way higher.

0 Likes 0 ·
erling avatar image erling Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Hi Alexandra

Thanks for your reply

I mean in the shorts circuit events the inverter will draw all the amps it can from the battery. But more gradually with the overload event.

The circuit on the ac side should in both events detect this and shut down before the inverter get damage.

Otherwice it is wrong to say that the inverter has overload and short circuit protection. At least the limits to this should be advertised.

The inverter do nothing no matter if i leave without power for days or try start it with the remote function or in eco/ normal mode. Different fully charged battery dosent make af difference either.

The inverter shut down in a few seconds after i started the grinder and it was a mistake. It was attached to the wrong outlet.

Kind regards

Erling

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ erling commented ·
It should protect its self from overload.

Better to contact your dealer and have them replace this for you.

0 Likes 0 ·
offroadflow avatar image offroadflow wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
contact your dealer...
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers