question

autoroamer avatar image
autoroamer asked

When I power the Cerbo GX from the US3000C, (with the Multiplus-2 3000 switched off), the GX boots, but the US3000C is not on the device list.

I am adding a US3000C to an existing single US3000, which worked fine.

The existing system was connected with a CAN Type B wire. The US3000C needs a CAN Type A wire. I made an adapter, which I added to the Type B wire with a 1-to-1 LAN connector. I have tested the Type B wire and the adapted Type A wire with a LAN tester, and they are OK.

Because it didn't work, I disconnected the second battery (US3000) so that only the US3000C was connected, but not recognised.

As a check, I disconnected the US3000C and connected just the old US3000,which was recognised. I connected the CAN (type B) cable via the 1-to-1 LAN adapter and a 1-to-1 LAN cable, and it still was recognised. What I'm saying is, I don't think there is a fault in the CAN cable.

I updated the Cerbo GX firmware to the latest version (2.84) but still not recognised.

cerbo gxPylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I think the easiest solution is to use an original cable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

autoroamer avatar image
autoroamer answered ·

The genuine branded Victron Can cable, Type A, arrived today. It does indeed work, and the US3000C battery shows up automatically on the Cerbo GX device list as expected.

So what was the problem? Using a LAN tester on the Victron Type A cable shows that three wires are connected, as in the wiring table. (3 to 6, 7 to 4, 8 to 5). However NONE of the other wires are connected.

On my 'B to A' adapter described above, I removed a section of the sheath and cut the 5 wires that are not required. When I removed the Victron wire and reconnected my modifed arrangement, that worked too. The US3000C shows up on the Cerbo list.

I was not looking forward to routing the new Victron wire to the batteries, but now I won't have to. The Type B wire is already in place, so the easiest solution was to make an adapter.

It would be a good idea if Victron and/or Pylontech updated the wiring tables to indicate that 'unused' wires cause a problem with Type A cables. My non-Victron Type B wire has all 8 wires connected, but only 3 are used. It works fine with a US3000 battery (not a US3000C)

1 comment
2 |3000

mattsmith avatar image mattsmith commented ·
I had the same issue and found that remaking the cable ends with only the 3 wires installed also worked.
0 Likes 0 ·