question

airstream-installer avatar image
airstream-installer asked

Using a single shunt for multiple functions

Here’s an advance thought/ question.
I would like to use a 50mv/500 Smart Shunt as a DC Energy Meter as now allowed with the Venus2.80 update. This would allow for a more accurate reading on my Touch 50 “Has DC system“ readout block.
I currently have a BMV712 in my system using it as a Battery monitor.
My system is super tight and I do not have room for 2 shunts on my distribution board.
Here is my question. Can I Drill and Tap the back side of a Smart Shunt (side opposite the connections) and mount the circuit board from my BMV712 shunt thereby using one shunt to perform both functions a Battery monitor and an Accurate DC energy meter?

The BMV would be setup as a Battery monitor and it’s board would be connected as traditional to the BMV712 display and VE. Direct cable from the Display to the CerboGX And the Smart Shunt Board would be set up as a Energy meter and it would be connected to the CerboGX via a VE. direct cable.

I have a Vertical Mill so the drilling and tapping of the holes in the shunt would not be an issue.

see attached photo for my current setup. 4a5048ec-2344-4501-823a-d1614fe1a8af.jpeg

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

What is the point, the shunt when used as a battery monitor measures the current going into or out of the battery, net charge or discharge. If you added a second set of electronics to this shunt as an energy meter it would measure and report the exactly the same current flow as the battery shunt, a value you already have. As an example of the fallacy of this, if you are charging at say 50Amps and your DC loads are 50Amps, then the battery sees no current flow so the battery meter reads zero, your energy meter will also be reading zero because it is not measuring the loads.

The purpose of the DC energy meter is to measure things like your alternator charge current or DC loads and to do this it needs to have the shunt located in a different place to the battery

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

airstream-installer avatar image airstream-installer commented ·

I’m trying to get a more accurate DC system reading when under heavy charging from generator or shore power (mainly Bulk). The “Has DC system” reading bounces all around from say 236W to -300W

d899d8cd-0c07-4936-9ed9-751779ed041b.jpeg

Based on this from the Victron Blog I thought the second set of electronics configured as a DC monitor would read more accurately.

I understand the shunts placement but I was just not sure the BMV set up as a battery monitor was giving me the same info it would as if it was set up as a DC meter?

I guess my question is does the “software” calculate the “Has DC system” differently between the two settings?

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The problem is the "has DC system" function is a calculated value from other measurements and the measurements are not always in sync, so it bounces around. If you put an extra shunt in then yes that will help with the DC system calc, but if you use the same shunt then no it will not add anything. All the energy meter reports is the current flow through the shunt, the voltage and hence the power, i.e. it is a subset of the battery monitoring information. I have a smartshunt set up ready to be installed to track the charging current from my boats alternator for the same reason as you, to improve the DC system calc.

2 |3000

airstream-installer answered ·

I’m going to trying and I will report back as to if it improves the accuracy of the “has DC system” reading. I have a few extra shunts laying around.

2 |3000

Ok so I did it, my son and I did the simple project of making a “Super Shunt”. we used a Smart shunt the will be set up as a DC energy meter and the Circuit board from our BMV-712 which is set up as a Battery Monitor and drilled and tapped the opposite side of the Smart Shunt.
this allow our BMV712 to function as out regular battery monitor and the Smart Shunt more accurately Meter DC power in and out of the batteries. This has helped ”stabilize“ the Has DC system on the CerboGX Display.

Not for everyone but works for us.

our install is super tight with no room for a second shunt. So….we made one perform the task of two!235e5ad9-2cd4-4ae1-83df-9cf45bf6c9ff.jpeg993a0f4b-6d15-4fb3-955a-feaefa2a73dc.jpegf2af04d4-679d-4525-8795-031e1344245a.jpegd57db293-0e31-41ce-a2cf-386fd4c144b7.jpeg7e66f40f-af8a-49f9-86ab-e6c37fb7bb53.jpeg

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Connected that way, you are NOT providing the GX device with the additional "DC system" current it needs to make better calculations. What you've done is provided a second measurement of the SAME battery DC current. If you program one device as a battery monitor and the other as the DC system current, then the DC system current will be WRONG since it is measuring the battery current not the DC load/charging source current.

It may be that the two shunts are slowing down calculations so it looks more stable.

2 |3000

I understand. However now the “Has DC system” is giving me a net gain/loss in watts as to what is coming out of or going into the batteries. This info is more useful than a number that is just bouncing around. Thanks for the clarification

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
The battery tile should show the same number. The number in the DC System tile may be stable but is not meaningful in terms of what is going/coming from other parts of the system. For example, a few LED lights will maybe draw 15-30 watts, but if the battery is charging, you'll see a number like 500 watts in the DC System tile.

For me I want to know how much power the DC loads in my trailer are using and the number is fairly accurate when the Multi isn't pushing or pulling large currents from the battery. I've learned that the number isn't stable when large and variable currents are flowing and can live with that as long as I know when I can trust the value.

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

Maybe a better solution, would be to install the shunt in series. So Shunt 1 battery port is connected to the battery. Shunt 1 load port is connected to your charge sources (MPPTS) and inverter negative and the battery port of shunt 2. The shunt 2 load port is then connected to all the DC loads you have. That way it will correctly report DC loads. Further if you configure shunt 2 to be a DC Monitor type DC system, then the Venus OS will not do any DC load calculations and use the shunt for the DC System value. The service that calculates the DC Loads value has this comment..

# Look for dcsytem devices, add them together. Otherwise, if enabled, calculate it
2 |3000