question

solartech12 avatar image
solartech12 asked

Grid settings in ESS mode

screenshot-2022-02-28-225602.png

I have set SOC limit to 35% in a attempt for the grid to only charge my batteries once they go below 35%. to test that I turn on grid but It didnt work as expected. instead it was charging the batteries at 38% . why did it started charging even tho the limit (35%) wasnt reached?

whatsapp-image-2022-02-28-at-102113-pm-2.jpeg

Also what battery mode should I select for such operation? moreover how can I tell grid to stop charging my batteries at the desired battery voltage or SOC? basically i want to use grid only as a backup in extreme cases (i,e, below 35%)

also what does grid setpoint does?

screenshot-2022-02-28-224712.png

ESSgridquattro 10kva
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
alexander-uhde avatar image
alexander-uhde answered ·

Hi,

you should pick "Optimized(without battery life)" for your desired behaviour.

If you take "with battery life", as your screenshot shows, the system will use the "Active SoC limit", which is right now at 65% in your case.

Grid setpoint shows the average desired amount of power taken from, or transferred to the grid.

I.e. if you take 30 Watt, system will by default take 30 W from grid and try to take the rest from PV or batteries.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solartech12 avatar image solartech12 commented ·
thanks for the info but at what soc level will the grid stop delivering? I mean when will inverter cut off grid power ? I want to use grid only when battery soc has fallen below 35% ( as in pic above) . so how I know when the grid will disconnect ?
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ solartech12 commented ·

ESS is always connected to the grid.

The system will stop using the battery at the set SOC.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

0 Likes 0 ·
solartech12 avatar image solartech12 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

ok but when will it start using battery again ? if ESS is always connected to grid then when can I prioritize use of mppt over grid . also is grid code necessary when using ESS just for battery self-consumption ( in the case of Zero export/feed back to grid) ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ solartech12 commented ·
If the SOC rises 5% over the low SOC limit it will start using the battery again.

To charge the battery only surplus energy is used.

As long as enough PV power or battery capacity is available it will automatically have priority over the grid.

Please read the link above it will answer most of your questions.

0 Likes 0 ·
solartech12 avatar image solartech12 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
thanks for sharing the link, I have already gone over it. my question is for ESS mode to able to work correctly , is there a need for grid code selection when I dont want any back feed into the grid?
0 Likes 0 ·
elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

I'm pretty sure if your "Grid Set Point" is set too high and you are not using that much, its considered "Excess" and will charge your battery with the "Excess".

As in: "Grid Set Point" is 200 watts and you are only consuming 100 watts.

That other 100 watts will be used to charge your battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

solartech12 avatar image solartech12 commented ·

I have set it to be 220W just as starting point for the 10kva Quattro and 80kwh battery system, is it too much to start with ? also this grid setpoint will always take the value set in the settings regardless of what the current system state is?

Have a look at all these cases, I tested the grid for. also, I haven't put any grid code inside Quattro as my intention is not to back feed the grid. does it affect its working?

screenshot-2022-03-02-011823.pngscreenshot-2022-03-02-004920.pngscreenshot-2022-03-02-005244.pngscreenshot-2022-03-02-010528.png

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual