question

bruce-kirk avatar image
bruce-kirk asked

Slow Switchover when grid fails.

A recent customer installation, a 10kVA Quattro with 2 x SmartSolar 250/100, 30 x 275W poly modules and 19.2kWh Lithium batteries, running on ESS - the first grid failure resulted in their TV, satellite decoder and computers shutting down and having to reboot. The switchover should happen within 20 milliseconds but it took more like 250 milliseconds, lights dipping visible to the human eye. Any suggestions?

ESSbatterygridswitch
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi Bruce,

In the VE config has the UPS been turned on

Default is on but maybe its been turned off

1561185000455.png (6.7 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bruce-kirk avatar image bruce-kirk commented ·

Hi Paul

I did check the UPS Function and it was on so the problem lies elsewhere.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ bruce-kirk commented ·

what grid-code settings do you use? anything selected for LOM detection?

if the grid had a brown-out, and disconnect settings are relatively low, the voltage might dip a lot before the inverter takes over.

0 Likes 0 ·
bruce-kirk avatar image bruce-kirk Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hello Daniel

The grid code setting is Other: not compliant to any grid code standard, and the LOM Detection is set to Type B.

The grid blacked out to zero volts for a full 15 minutes.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ bruce-kirk commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
denzel avatar image
denzel answered ·

Hi,

Did you manage to fix this issue? I have been running a Multi 3kva since September 2019 and yesterday I had a grid failure and noticed a very slow switch over.

I simulated the issue by manually failing the grid and the power fails then the inverter kicks in.

I turned on the "UPS" feature with no joy.

Prior to this I had many grid failures and never had the power fail.

Regards

3 comments
2 |3000

bruce-kirk avatar image bruce-kirk commented ·

Hi Denzel

No, the problem still persists. But I have found out that the firmware is out of date so I'm going to do an update today and hopefully this may help.

0 Likes 0 ·
georgebester avatar image georgebester bruce-kirk commented ·

have a server which is sensitive to lom,

seetings to LOM B existed see below so not sure why there is a problem . is it to do with reconnected power rate set at 600 s perhaps this should be set to 5 sec

1683706946062.png

1683707115602.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1683706946062.png (37.4 KiB)
1683707115602.png (63.4 KiB)
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ georgebester commented ·
Ramp rate doesn't affect recovery from grid loss, it is about how it phases grid use back after grid has returned.

It is defined in the grid codes and changing it makes the device non-compliant.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual