question

pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa asked

SOC Display of separate Pylontech or BSLBATT rack units?

Hello,

i think about getting some BSLBATT or Pylontech 48V LiFePo4 100Ah Server Rack units.

I want to use more of these parallel. Every of these units has there own BMS connected via CAN.

Now i wonder, if its possible on Cerbo GX Display or VRM, to show the individual SOC of these rack units?

Or will only an "overall" SOC of all parallel units combinded be displayed?

How i could then see or find out, if maybe a single unit does drift?

Like top unit has 100% SOC, but last unit only has 88% for example.

How can i see that?

Or do i need to hook up the laptop on every unit and look up manually?

BMS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tom4x avatar image tom4x commented ·

I am astonished that mixing two battery brands, each with their own BMS, is possible in one setup? Is the Cerbo capable of handling two battery systems? Do they have the same number of cells? BSL's 100Ah has 16s.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ tom4x commented ·
No, GX can only deal with one BMS. The OP wasn't suggesting mixing brands, the query was about reporting the SOC of an individual module.
1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The master BMS will report a combined SOC and min/max cells. That is how the BMS is designed, Victron has no control over that.

min/max cells are reported and tracked in VRM so you can easily see if there is an imbalance and if it changes with time.

You would need to manually integrate into the BMS if you wanted more detail.

screenshot-2022-02-24-at-095114.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

thank you Nick,

i see. So, if really would want to see the separate BMS SOC %, i would need read the BMS RS485 messages myself on smarthome device, correct?

Then i would be able to see something like this:

batt.png

i would want to monitor this, after seeing this video ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBT8lSC25M&t=679s

batt.png (611.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

With either BSL or Pylon, it is quite unnecessary.

Your supplier should provide them to you at a similar level of charge.

Pylon's sometimes have issues on install but mostly they sort themselves out if you follow the setup advice.

BSL takes a lot longer to balance (my example above was BSL) but they do it fine.

Just leave the BMS to do what it needs to do, no need to dig in deeper.

1 Like 1 ·