question

Martin Coetzee avatar image
Martin Coetzee asked

error 38 mppt 150/100

i added extra batteries to yesterday, previous ones install Jan 2019. Everything was off and isolated. when i restarted my one regulator was not producing on the one string. it was 6 pm so i left it to check today when the son comes up.

at around 7 pm i got a error 38. Its not resetting, anyone any ideas ?

error
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brucesterj avatar image brucesterj commented ·

Ok.. I got the repeated error alert again today. As copied from the

Err 38, Err 39 - PV Input shutdown

post above..

• There is another device connected to the battery, which is configured to a higher voltage. For example a MultiPlus, configured to equalise at 17 Volts, while in the MPPT this is not configured.

Well.. Yes there is.. 2 Victron controllers and a CERBO all networked. So neither controller is configured differently. 99% of today the controller and array are working like they should..

20230519_165544.jpg20230521_203842.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi Martin,

regarding Errror 38:

Err 38, Err 39 - PV Input shutdown

To protect the battery from over-charging the panel input is shorted.

Possible reasons for this error to occur:

• The Battery voltage (12/24/48V) is set, or auto-detected, incorrectly. Use VictronConnect to disable auto-detect and set the Battery Voltage to a fixed voltage.

• There is another device connected to the battery, which is configured to a higher voltage. For example a MultiPlus, configured to equalise at 17 Volts, while in the MPPT this is not configured.

• The battery is disconnected using a manual switch. Ideally the charger should be switched off before disconnecting the battery, this avoids a voltage overshoot on the charger output. If necessary the voltage trip-level for the PV Short protection can be increased by raising the Equalization voltage set-point (note: equalization does not have to be enabled in this case).

• The battery is disconnected using a Lithium charge relay connected to the “allow-to-charge” output of a BMS. Consider wiring this signal to the Remote terminal of the charger instead. This shuts down the charger gracefully without creating a voltage overshoot.

Error recovery:

• Error 38: First disconnect the solar panels and disconnect the battery. Wait for 3 minutes, then reconnect the battery first and next the panels.

• Error 39: The charger will automatically resume operation once the battery voltage drops below the float level for 1 minute.

If the error persists the charge controller is probably faulty.

See all other Error Codes here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/mppt-error-codes

Regards,

Markus

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

energy avatar image
energy answered ·

How do I recover Error 38 if the site is 600 km away? The voltage was 54.33v when the error occurred and it's a 16 cell LiFePO4 battery with an absorb voltage of 55.5v (Revov).

1 comment
2 |3000

ws avatar image ws commented ·
Hi, did you manage to remotely clear the error?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic