question

sud avatar image
sud asked

Anyone found out from Victron what “advanced user settings” should be set to for Lead carbon 160s?

i find it unbelievabe that victron have not produced a more detailed version of charge rates. I have the ip67 24v blue smart charger, and could go to advanced settings, and put in what they say.....but they won’t tell, WHY.?

lead-acid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

What specific parameter do you need information for?
The Absorb, Float and Storage parameters are no secret, they are listed in the manual for the battery:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Lead-carbon-battery-EN.pdf

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@WKirby What's missing is temp compensation, and charge rate. Many won't understand 0.2C. Which in this case is 32Amp. Peukert values would be nice as well, even if not relevant to the question. I struggled with these when I got mine, but never got an answer.
0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Ah, OK thanks, I see the problem now. It's a bit of a mystery why those are not advertised.
0 Likes 0 ·
sud avatar image sud wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Exactly that, victron have been lazy at the least.
0 Likes 0 ·
sud avatar image sud kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks Kevgermany, so when i bought the batteries i was told 0.1c is the best setting, but upto 0.2 is, as you’ve pointed out, on the so called data sheet.

so 16amps to 32 amps charger is needed?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ sud commented ·

I've just seen your other question. So depends on if you want to charge at 24V or 12V. You might want to think about 0.1C. It means a very slow charge. My setup is different, 4x106 Ah in a 24V setup. So 212Ah @24V. The Mains charger is on 40A. No problems so far (except some balance deviations). Batteries don't get much temp change when charging. My solar side can't do more than 20Amps, but I can't get more panels on my van.

If you think about a 3 stage charger, the C rating is only effective during the bulk stage. In absorption, current drops, extending the charge time. The Victron chargers have an adaptive absorption phase, which works well for me. And if you don't discharge your batteries much, you're in the constant voltage/absorption phase a lot of the time and will not see anything like 0.2C.

Guess it depends on how quickly you want/need to charge.

This might help. From yesterday. I disconnected AC, let the batteries discharge to about 70%. Then went out, solar only, Plugged in when I got back. Despite the 40A setting, Charge voltage was much lower. You can see the current drop as the charge state rises.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ sud commented ·

This might help. From yesterday. I disconnected AC, let the batteries discharge to about 70%. Then went out, solar only, Plugged in when I got back. Despite the 40A setting, Charge current was much lower. You can see the current drop as the charge state rises.

In case you're wondering, I have the voltages set quite low at the moment - winter/storage settings.

VRM_2-22_02_18.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
vrm-2-22-02-18.pdf (108.0 KiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic