question

gn-ro avatar image
gn-ro asked

What else do I need for optimal configuration with BlueSolar MPPT 100/20 and 18650 pack?

Hi,

I want to buy a BlueSolar MPPT 12/24/48VDC 100/20 for use with 2 solar panels to charge a (approx.) 48V battery pack 14s48p from recovered 18650 cells.

I will use a BMS and I'm currently reading the "Victron Wired bible" but I'm not sure what else do I need for optimal configuration and long running of such a setup.

I'm not sure what the BlueSolar will do when will finish charging the battery pack. Can I do something with the solar power when the battery is full? Do I need a SmartShunt from the start or I can add it later? I will also want to use a Raspberry PI to check on things remotely.

I'm seeking information from more experienced users, or maybe someone with similar setup.

Thank you!

MPPT ControllersLithium Battery48v batterySuperPack
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
t1-terry avatar image
t1-terry answered ·

First thing you will need is a BMS that will not only monitor the cell group voltages but also send a signal if a cell group goes over 3.6v. This signal needs to trigger a timer that will switch a relay open and hold it open for the length of time you set on the timer.

The relay com goes to battery positive via a fuse and the relay N/O goes to the non inverting VE direct cable (available from Victron) and plugs into the VE direct port on the MPPT controller. This will stop the charging from the MPPT controller and protect the cell groups (and therefore the battery itself) from cell damage due to over voltage charging.

The time set for the charging to stop depends on how long it takes the high voltage cell group to settle to a lower voltage, min 1 minute, max what ever you want but watch that the load does not pull the battery down too far while the charging is stopped.

Settings, bulk/absorption 14v, absorption time as short a it will let you and float between 13.65 and 17.5v, at least until you add the BMV 712 or Smart shunt, then you can network the MPPT to the BMV and the battery voltage will be more accurate at the MPPT controller, then revert to the 13.65v float.

Rebulk, 0.5v until you get a BMV networked to the controller, after that, 0.1v to 0.2v, this is the voltage drop below the float voltage that the controller will revert to absorption voltage and go through the absorption time again. If you see this happening too often and the cell balance starts to go out causing a lot of over voltage cell group charging stops, set the rebulk voltage to a higher amount.

Get a single cell 3.65v charger from one of the sellers of chinese stuff, and top up the lowest voltage cell group when a cell group apparts to be setting the over voltage trigger too often.

If you want a more detailed explanation, just ask, I'm more than happy to expand anything I might have brushed over.

My wife has added a lot of lithium battery info on her website t1lithium.com.au hope this doesn't contravene any forum rules by adding her website .... I'm just the unpaid slave :lol:

T1 Terry

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Not sure this is right. It's a self build 48V pack, with 18650 cells. These normally need to charge to about 4.2V. Nominal voltage is 3.6/3.7V .
0 Likes 0 ·
gn-ro avatar image
gn-ro answered ·

Regarding the pack voltage I want to set the max pack voltage at about 58.1V (4.15V per parallel module) and the min voltage to 51.1V (3.65V per parallel module) as I need the battery to last.

I will also use 2 Chinese BMS in series connectable via Bluetooth then via a dongle to a Raspberry PI.

I'm unclear what BlueSolar MPPT controller will do after the battery is fully charged.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?