question

synimbus avatar image
synimbus asked

Lithium charging with alternator

Hello,

As I understand, there are many ways of charging lithium batteries (home made pack) with alternator

My home made cells are in this configuration. 3x 16cells in 24v, total of 48 cells 1812Ah @ 24v

1. Configuring alternator with external regulator to charge lithium directly, then using DC/DC to charge starter AGMs

2. Configure alternator to charge starter AGMs directly, and then use DC/DC charger to charge lithium

3. Some other ways?

What are the benefits and advantages of one verses the other?

Lithium Batteryorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Have the alternator charge the AGM and then DC/DC converter for AGM to Lithium.
Lithium would burn an alternator up, especially a large battery bank like you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgoIocPgOug&ab_channel=VictronEnergy

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nev avatar image Nev commented ·
I have seen that video referred to many times but it really is a little unfair at times especially in RV usage. Slow revving and limited air movement comes to mind.

We have a Mitsubishi Canter 3.9l TD based motorhome with a 100A rated alternator.

Our 4 cell 300Ah LiFePO4 battery has been charging at 75-85A until full for 7 years of full time travel and the alternator that spins at c3000rpm at low idle speed has yet to eminate any of that smoke or if it has there is an awful lot of it still remaining.

0 Likes 0 ·
synimbus avatar image
synimbus answered ·

What are the benefits of charging AGM, and then Lithium, verses lithium directly?

Also, largest dc/dc victron charger @24 is 12A, where is my alternator is 110a @24

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Alternators have a charging profile for lead acid.
0 Likes 0 ·
Dan Goetzman avatar image
Dan Goetzman answered ·

It's my understanding using the Orion Smart DC-DC will act as a current limiter for using chassis alternator to charge a LiFEPO4 house battery bank? That is one of it's primary use cases I thought??? I have one installed (Orion Smart 12-12 30A) in my using for that very reason. My chassis alternator is 220 AMP and the Orion Smart DC-DC limits the current going to me LiFEPO4 to ~30 amps, typically more like 20 amps as the Orion Smart DC-DC typically is running hot and limits current output as that is a standard feature to derate output when running "hot".

2 |3000