question

marinepower avatar image
marinepower asked

Victron Orion-TR Smart DC-DC 12/12 (non-Isolated) Continues Charging with Remote Inputs Removed

I purchased a Orion TR Smart 12/12 - 30amp last year but only installed it recently. The unit is working fine except it is totally ignoring the remote inputs. Software is up to date.

With the jumper cable removed, it continues to charge my lithium battery bank. This is very dangerous for a lithium battery set up as the Orion-Tr only monitors pack level voltage and not individual cell voltage, for which it relies on the BMS's intervention via the remote inputs.

Searching the Community, others seem to have similar issues with the remote not responding correctly, but no answers from the Community or from Victron Support?

See:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/92680/orion-tr-smart-does-not-respect-remote-switch.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/102189/orion-tr-smart-remote-input-inactive.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/60015/orion-remote-input-inactive.html

Has anyone had this issue and resolved it? Right now my 30amp DC-DC charger is no better than a paper weight.

orion-tr smartremote console
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

How is it wired? How are you measuring charging current?

0 Likes 0 ·
marinepower avatar image marinepower kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
It's wired in accordance with the instructions. As evidenced by the fact that it's charging just fine (per the Victron app, & as confirmed by a current meter) . The issue is that it should stop charging when the remote jumper is removed. Yet it continues to charge.

I might think it's a shorted internal FET, except the H & L read zero and 7 volts respectively.

May be a version 1.06 software issue?

Victron better address this if they have a manufacturer's defect on their hands. How many lithium batteries in operation currently (in mobile applications) where the BMS signals the charging to stop via the DC-DC's remote input? This is very dangerous condition for the RV and marine world if this a systemic issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ marinepower commented ·
Suggest you get this to a Victron dealer for proper testing. That's the official support from Victron. We are mostly volunteers.

0 Likes 0 ·
marinepower avatar image marinepower kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thxs Kevgermany for your reply.

Given the number of threads on this forum reporting the same or similar problem with the Orion-TR DC-DC (see links in my original post above) , I thought perhaps someone else had either a warranty claim or a software update that resolved this issue.

I have contacted the dealer and have been going back and forth with them with pictures, Victron connect screen grabs, etc.

They are also at a loss at this point to explain this behaviour.

MP

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
Suggest you ask them to exchange it.
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.