question

greyhame avatar image
greyhame asked

How to "Do not use VS" using my GX Touch 50 (with Cerbo GX) rather than using my laptop.

I have 2 Quattro 48/5000/70 60 hz set up for USA (actually in the Bahamas) 240 volts along with Solar panels and 3 MPPT150/35. Unreliable grid is available. Most of the time we are self-sufficient, but after several cloudy days we need the grid (or our generator to top up)

I use Virtual Switch to employ the grid when the battery levels are too low, or if we are pulling too much for too long. It works well automatically, however when it switches to the grid to charge there is the usual loud click plus the fans start to run. All OK unless this happens in the middle of the night and it wakes up "She Who Must Be Obeyed"

The way around this is to pre-charge the batteries for 30 or 40 minutes in the evening by switching off VS temporarily..."Do Not Use VS" with VE Configure on my laptop.

How can I do this without the use of a laptop, eg configuring and then utilising the GX Touch 50, or by some other method?

I have other installations I installed locally at friends where a solution would be useful also as they are not technically savvy.

Thanks

Graham

virtual switch
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@greyhame

I am not aware of one which allows the use of Virtual switch at the same time as they need assistant setups.

You could have the AC ignore assistant setup sinilar to the Virtual switch, and then add silent fans to it.

There us this thread that discusses a few ways to set it up including one where you can interact with it using the generator menu on the gx. But it does require the user being a bit more comfortable with poking around and programming the units.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @greyhame

You could try limiting the charge rate. This won't help with the relay click, but you should be able to silence the fans at a lower charge. (These fans seem to be preemptive, rather than reacting to actual temp).

This is possible to do via the GX, so when you change to genset, easy to wind charge rate up again. But ahh, Quattro, you have 2x rates onboard anyway..

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE Configure/Virtual Switch

Ignore AC input using the Generator Assistant