question

Stephen Roche avatar image
Stephen Roche asked

Phoenix Inverter Smart 12/1600 Eco Mode Overload

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue with a new install of a Phoenix Inverter Smart 12/1600. The device works absolutely fine when in normal mode, but when I switch to Eco mode, the red Overload light comes on and after a short period it disables. I can restart it, but same issue.

On my AC side I have the output going into a small garage type consumer unit, and when this units main fuse it switched off - guaranteeing no load at all - the device still behaves the same, so where is the overload coming from?

Anyone else had an issue with the Eco mode?

Steve...

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

This is a strange one.
Eco mode can behave weirdly when presented with tricky reactive loads. Overload with no loads connected is strange.
I would have thought to check the DC cabling to ensure there is no high impedance connections and ensure that the DC ripple is minimal. Having said that I'd still expect DC ripple issues to persist in normal mode.

If the AC cabling is disconnected from the inverter its self, does the problem persist? This would rule out any unforeseen problems with the AC cabling or earthing leading up to the garage unit.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stephen Roche answered ·

Are you able to advise the best way to check for high impedance and ripple on the DC side? Is it as simple as using a multimeter? How many volts would you expect as a minimum from the batteries at the inverter when idle/running?

Between the battery and inverter I have:

* positive - 0.7m 50mm cable from battery to ANL main fuse, short 5cm 50mm cable from main ANL fuse to busbar, short 5cm 50mm cable from busbar to inverter ANL fuse (250A), 1.8m 50mm cable from inverter ANL fuse to inverter.

* negative - 0.5m 50mm cable from battery to 500a shunt, short 5cm 50mm cable from shunt to bus bar, 1.8m 50mm cable from bus bar to inverter

I will disconnect the AC cable as suggested from the inverter, test and report back.

Thanks, Steve...

5 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Your DC cabling, as you describe it, is perfectly adequate.

You can measure DC ripple with a multimeter. Make sure you select ~AC Volts when measuring ripple. Put the multimeter probes on - and + battery terminals of the inverter.
You'll see a reading as you touch your probes on the terminals, but this should settle within a second or two.

I would expect minimal ripple when there is no AC loads.
An amount of ripple is expected as the inverter is loaded.

Here is an explanation of DC ripple:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/_media/ve.bus:4._ripple_in_a_ac_battery_system.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Roche avatar image Stephen Roche wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Just to advise this item is on a boat which I'll visit on 30th January and provide feedback to you then, apologies for delay.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Roche avatar image Stephen Roche Stephen Roche commented ·

I've done as suggested and disconnected the AC supply into the inverter. The behaviour of the inverter is the same.

When switched on with no AC cabling connected, I get the green light. I then press the power button a second time for Eco mode, I get the Orange Eco light and the green is on, and then after ~5 seconds, the red fault light comes on. So all 3 lights on.

The light sequence seems to be:

• solid orange
  • solid orange and green
  • red, orange, green all solid, green is pulsing 2 flashes for a few seconds (~30) and then the green goes out
  • whilst pulsing, the fan inside the unit clicks on and off and there is a whining sound, like something is winding up

I didn't see any discernible ripple on the inverter + and -.

I noted on the DC terminals I had a 13.12v reading.

Again, with AC disconnected or connected and off, the unit performs as expected when NOT in Eco mode, it's just Eco mode where I see this issue.

Any further advice greatly appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Roche avatar image Stephen Roche Stephen Roche commented ·
@WKirby Any thoughts on this issue please?

Steve...

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Stephen Roche commented ·
Not really I'm afraid. The LED pattern and fan behaviour don't make any sense to me. And weird how it only does it in Eco mode.

At this point I'd suggest getting your dealer involved. Have them inspect it and repair or replace it as I think we have exhausted our options here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Roche answered ·

I should also mention I have 400ah AGM batteries (4x 100ah))

2 |3000