question

mdgreene2001 avatar image
mdgreene2001 asked

VE BUS SMART DONGLE voltage connected to MULTIPLUS does not match VE BUS input voltage

4b247288-b3f0-4078-9009-cf88dc3d629e.png7d00d97a-aba5-4c8c-8f5d-25a8576a7090.jpegMy VE BUS SMART DONGLE that is connected to my MULTIPLUS reads incorrect voltage, it is 0.59v higher than the input wires at the VE BUS. It is causing my MULTIPLUS not to charge when battery voltage is low. See pictures.

VE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Its really difficult to determine which measurement is incorrect.
In these circumstances, when presented with two conflicting measurement, you need to sanity check and verify with at least a third known accurate measurement device.
Check multimeter leads and connections too.
Once you have at least two measurements that agree, then you can determine which is inaccurate.

If the VE,Bus dongle turns out to be the odd one out, then you should double check all connections. Although it is reading high, so less likely to be a fault connection, but check anyway. If all else fails, contact your dealer and have them provide a replacement unit.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solar-mann avatar image
solar-mann answered ·

I am having this exact same issue, hopefully someone sees this and can assist both of us. I purchased in November of last year through Battleborn batteries. When I first discovered this issue I called them, they informed I was probably the 100th person to complain of this issue and that Victron was working on a firmware update to fix it. They said it should be out within the next week or 2. That was months ago, I have called back a few times since and every time "Its all up to victron, theyre working on it". At this point i'd rather just get my money back but they have stopped answering my calls or calling me back.

2 |3000

briantax avatar image
briantax answered ·

I am having the same issue. BMV, Multiplus, and two multimeters are all in sync. Dongle is reading high. I placed the leads at the battery and at the shunt, it is still wrong.

Did anyone have a resolution? I feel it is a bad dongle.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Why can't the dongle read the voltage (and possible even SOC) over bluetooth from the BMV ? This usually has the best connection to the battery.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic