question

erik-forslund avatar image
erik-forslund asked

SmartShunt only - why temp sensor

I have so far one single Victron equipment only. No Victron chargers (yet). I plan to monitor two battery banks, so the Aux-cable will go to the starter battery. Then there are no possibilities for a temp sensor via Aux, but I don't see a reason for it in this basic system. Can anyone state this is a right analysis, or do you see a need of having the temp sensor?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

For a basic system you'll probably be just fine without a temperature sensor.
If your battery won't be subjected to extreme temperature variations and monitoring your start battery is a higher priority for you then no need to measure temperature.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

erik-forslund avatar image
erik-forslund answered ·

Thanks for that

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Battery/system performance is dependant on temperature.

All the specs are based on 25C, if your environment is above/below this or fluctuates with any significance, then you really do want temperature compensation enabled so that the life and performance of the batteries are maintained.

If the temp is fairly consistent, then you could compensate for this by manually setting the relevant voltages with the ambient temperature in mind.

0 Likes 0 ·