question

john-strein avatar image
john-strein asked

A digital display for a Smart Shunt?

I got a 500a Smart Shunt and understand it hooks into the Victron Connect Ap via Bluetooth. That is great and will plan to use it in this manner. However, I would also like to hookup a digital display like the one that comes with the BMV-712.

I have read I can hookup a display using the GX devices but I don't have those and they are expensive. I really don't need all the what the GX devices deliver. I just want a digital display of the battery voltage and SOC for quick reference without having to log onto my phone. Besides there are other people at the cabin that are not going to download an ap to monitor SOC. They just need a simple digital display that they can glance at and know whether the SOC is good or they need to turn on the generator and charge the battery.

Doesn't seem as this should be a problem but it appears to me I need to fork over several more hundreds of dollars to purchase the whole GX stuff to get this. There has to be a way.

Any ideas??

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

If you need the dedicated display, you should have bought a BMV.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

You could wall mount a cheap or used android phone to display the data.

I have permanently mounted an old spare Nokia 5.1 phone alongside the other gauges in our motorhome powered from a 5V USB outlet. It has survived a year or so of full-time travel and wil be very cheap to replace when it eventually fails.

Easy to switch data displays between Victron battery charger, SmartShunt, BatteryProtect, BatterySence and solar controller,

2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

A rasberry pi, signal k, a very.direct cable and a small e ink display should do the job for under 50 dollars with a bit of effort.

Or get a slightly bigger pi and you can run venus OS on that

2 |3000