question

left-coast-geek avatar image
left-coast-geek asked

SmartConnect on an Android phone/tablet

I'm using a SmartShunt in my RV, and have both android phones and tablets. I really wish there was an option in SmartConnect to disable the Android screen saver (much like Google Maps uses when you're driving), as if the screen sleeps, SmartConnect loses all history from the SmartShunt, and I want to be able to track the charging cycle overnight while I tune and adjust stuff. yes, I will ensure my Android device is plugged in if I enable this. in fact, I'd love to be able to mount an older 'spare' android tablet in the trailer as a full time SmartConnect monitor, hard wired to a usb charger).

I'm adding at least a MPPT 100/30 soon, and maybe some other Victron devices, so this likely will become even more of an issue (although I have yet to see how the SmartSolar MPPT interacts with the SmartShunt if I interconnect their DE ports).

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hello,

There is an option in the VictronConnect settings screen to keep the screen on as long as VictronConnect is the active application. While the screen is on, VictronConnect will not close the connection and thus also not clear the trends graphs. The settings screen can be entered via the "hamburger" button on the top left of the main device list screen.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Left Coast Geek

The best way for long term monitoring and system integration is a gx device

So either a Rasp pi with venus os on it, for small systems if you like diy stuff. With ve direct to usb cables to connect the shunt and mppt. Or get a Cerbo. It has its own wifi or bluetooth for monitoring and you can get it to log.

The mppt cannot directly connect to the smart shunt with cables. You can use smart networking though logging also will be an issue there.

2 |3000

left-coast-geek avatar image
left-coast-geek answered ·

ahhh, I missed that. i was looking at the various settings available *after* I was connected to my smartshunt.

excellent. I'm getting a DC compressor fridge (Norcold N2175) installed in my camper next month to replace the old absorption fridge (dometic RMD8555 w/a failed controller and no parts availability), and I want to monitor its power consumption over time, and was very annoyed the smartshunt had zero memory and the app only showed the history while it stayed connected.

now comes the fun part, my 'spare' tablet I was hoping to dedicate to this monitoring, its Micro USB charging jack is flakey. it works if I put it flat on a table an put something like a pair of pliers under the cord so its 'torqued' upwards a bit, then it charges fine. I can see it now, where I wall mount this tablet and put a rubber block or something under the USB plug to tweak it enough to make content, hah hah hah. oh, never mind.

2 |3000

habibu avatar image
habibu answered ·

my Bluesolar Vitron 100/20 48V, home made VE direct cable is not working to ant android phone or laptop. i can find the VE cable to buy. i am stuck for 2 month now help

2 |3000

Related Resources