question

czauto avatar image
czauto asked

Batteries not charging from generator on AC1 with ESS

Hi guys,

I've got a scenario that I cannot come around by myself and I hope someone might have some suggestions. I've browsed through various forums but none seem to be similar to mine.

More about my system:

I've got a Multiplus 48/3000/35 running ESS through a Venus GX device, a Smartsolar 150/70 MPPT with 12 x 330W canadian solar panels ( 4 x 3s) and 2 x Freedom won E5000 eTower batteries, 10kwh of which 80% usable.

I am connected to a stable grid but we do have outages quite a lot in South Africa so I've connected a 6.5Kva Ellies Diesel silent type generator through a motorized break before make automatic transfer switch with the municipal grid supply to AC1. I've set up the generator stop/start assistant to start the generator only when the batteries are below 20% SOC, as well as with an inverter overload or over temperature alarm. I've also connected the starting circuit of the generator through a NC relay which is energized by Grid supply to keep it open. This means that the Generator stop/start assistant will only be effectively be able to start the generator should grid supply fall away.

This setup works fine but I do however have an issue. When the grid falls away and the assistant starts the generator, the multiplus goes into passthru mode and do not charge the batteries, even when no PV is available. This is only with ESS enabled.

Is there a way, through settings, for a Multiplus to detect loss of grid supply and charge the batteries from the excess power available from the generator? Current limit is set to 12Amps on AC1 and this morning, during an outage, the generator was running with a 3 Amp load on Passthru while it could have charged the batteries with the surplus. I guess the ESS assistant should be able to detect when the Generator start/stop assistant is actively running the generator and change the ESS charging conditions? Technically AC1 will be the effective input for Mains as well as generator, unlike the AC1/AC2 in the Quattro's but this can be distinguished via software with the active assistants, am I right?

I'm not sure if I missed a setting somewhere seeing that I've tried a lot of different settings but cannot seems to figure it out.

This the ESS assistant cannot detect generator operation through AC1, maybe this might be reserved as a future option when both ESS and generator start/stop assistant are being used.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

ESS only supports a generator in conjunction with a quattro, not a multi.

You may want to adjust the LOM detection.

From the ESS FAQs:

Q3: Can I use ESS with a generator?

A: Yes you can. Note that the only installation type where that makes sense is a land based installation (no boat, and no vehicle). A Quattro must be used with AC input 1 connected to the generator, and AC input 2 connected to the grid. The role of the generator will be to provide power during a long grid failure.

Some, bigger or better quality generators, will be able to work with LOM Type B. For other less stable generators it will be required to disable LOM entirely. In that case make the installation such that it is still safe: no simple extensions cords, use enclosed wiring cabinets with warnings on the outside and/or an external ENS.

More information about Victron Inverter/chargers combined with Generators is in the MultiPlus Generator FAQ

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @CZAuto

If you set ACIN1 to 'Generator', then ESS should allow charging as well as passthrough. Like this..

1641455546304.pngThe Multi can't distinguish between the options itself on a single input, so needs to be told. But this also means it will treat grid input the same, and that may not suit you. And VRM will now store usage in a different register (and it doesn't handle Generator input the same way).

Not sure why you're using ESS anyway, unless you're exporting or need some time-based function?

But it might be possible to refine this with other Assistants, possibly with an external signal to the Multi to use as a prompt..

1641455546304.png (40.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

czauto avatar image
czauto answered ·

I cannot see why not to use ESS. I am connected to the grid but not feeding back, for now at least. I do however have the advantage that, whenever my loads are maxing out the 3Kva inverter, the excess is taken from the grid. The setup works perfect, except for the issue with the generator not charging the batteries unless I change ESS to "keep batteries charged". I have reduced my electricity bill by more than 90% the way it is set up now. I will test the "generator" setting on AC1. Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Because ESS was not designed to work on a multi in that way.

Keep batteries charged disables battery discharge.

The other modes are expecting a healthy grid connection and want to feed back around the setpoint, this does not work with a generator as the input.

So you are going well off script.

You can fudge it to sort of work but it is not supported nor tested in the configuration you are trying, so you need to accept that your experience may not live up to expectations.

0 Likes 0 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·
Ha, i need to try that ’keep batteries charged’, maybe it helps. Do you play with scheduled charging?
0 Likes 0 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image
Juha Tuomala answered ·

Same here, generator running, Quattro accepts it and AC1 generator is connected but still Quattro uses battery to supply load. VRM says 'discharging'. I also switched the ’scheduled charging’ so that there would be an active schedule, but that didn’t help.

Did anyone figure out what caused this? Is there a solution for it?

Quattro II + ESS + Genset in AC1

51050618-e77d-4f9e-a59e-6dfdff0c722b.jpeg

2 |3000