question

whohasit avatar image
whohasit asked

Multiplus - bare bones install

Here is a simple ask for the right person— I have a new Multiplus 3000/12, 4x 100amp battleborns, and a longer-term dream to upgrade our rigs existing lead-acid batteries, 1000w inverter/converter/charger, and maybe even add solar.

But today, I want to just do a bare bones plug-in of the multiplus to the battleborns and a simple power strip .. so I can use our 1200w hot pot or coffee maker (immediately).

Is this possible? I don’t see why not but I’m used to being wrong.

How will the batteries charge? Later, I’ll actually deal with connecting to the rigs current 50a panel, AC system, etc.

But for now, we are getting on the road in a few days with the current system. Basicaly, I want to run the two systems in parallel until I have the time, knowledge, and other hardware to do the full upgrade which I know will require much more time and detail.

Thanks in advance —

multiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
liam-tuvey avatar image
liam-tuvey answered ·

Assuming you have existing shore power hook up connected to some kind of AC consumer unit in the van / RV/....

You could take a fused and (ideally RCD protected AC) feed from that fusebox into the Multiplus.

From the Multiplus you'd need a DC circuit connected to the battle borns.

And a new AC out circuit (again with RCD MCB protection) which you can plug the AC hot pot into and run on the inverter. (note that you need to ensure the multiplus enclosure is connected to the chassis for the RCD to work)

The Multiplus should be configured to use the preset Lifepo4 charge profile for the battleborns. It will then charge them off the shore power when connected.

You could run this a whole separate system until you want to swap the old one out.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

whohasit avatar image whohasit commented ·

Thanks so much.

Yes - The rig will be connected to shore power. When you say “some kind of AC consumer unit”, would an example be our functioning panel / fuse box or some other type of common device?

Also, when you recommend the new AC out from the multiplus “with RCD MCB protection” can you provide a simplistic example of such a device? For instance, a basic powerstrip of reliable grade and quality or a more specific, singular or combined device? I’m trying to check which hardware needs to be acquired temporarily or otherwise will be useful in the longer term, to-be-determined system design.

Thanks again for your response!

0 Likes 0 ·
liam-tuvey avatar image
liam-tuvey answered ·

first up I'm not an electrician, and I'm also based in the UK, so you should treat this as you would any "advice from a person on the internet' and be confident that you've abided by local regulations and that what you are doing is safe.

That said.

Yes - If you have an existing fuse box / panel that has breakers that can handle the current for the multiplus and you have capacity in this box to take a feed out to the multiplus then you can use that.

-

On the AC output of the Multiplus you should again run this into a small fuse panel (we call these consumer units in the UK) small units designed for outbuildings are often used. These often have an RCD breaker to provide protection for humans, and MCBs (fuses) to protect the wires.

Here is an example for sale in the UK https://a1electrics.com/consumer-units/388/2-way-consumer-unit-63a-rcd-6a-32a-mcb-ip65.html

My preference is to use MCBs and RCDs that are dual pole just in case you connect to shore power that has the positive and negative wired in the wrong way.

If you are looking to future proof any purchases, get a consumer unit that has the right number and correct amp rated breakers you need for any circuits you plan to run. (Often in vehicle this is relatively low and 1 or 2 circuits in enough)

1 comment
2 |3000

whohasit avatar image whohasit commented ·

Thanks again, Liam. The “consumer”lexicon makes sense and I’ve found several varieties over here - brilliant!. We finally got on the road over a week ago and I’m just now getting set up with my project.

While circuits are all full on the current 50amp panel, I can volunteer (steal-away) the 20amp circuit from the unused second AIr Conditioner — thus, assuming that we have surge protection at shore power (and have at minimum a 15-20amp connection), will this be sufficient power to drive the AC-in for the Multiplus (even with a bank of 4 totally exhausted/flat battleborns)? I realize that we may be already using some of the 20amp shore power and that the power to the repurposed circuit may be reduced - that’s what worries me. Perhaps I need to program the multiplus to down regulate the charging?

Bryan

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic