question

showtime3 avatar image
showtime3 asked

Configure Multiplus without a PC

Is this possible yet? Id rather not buy a Windows PC just to change my Multiplus settings.

The system will have a Cerbo GX and GX Touch 50. Is there any other way to accomplish changing setting on the Multiplus without buying a PC? Bluetooth dongle?

cerbo gxvictronVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Many settings can be applied via Victron Connect with a smart dongle.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

showtime3 avatar image showtime3 commented ·
I just need to change setting to the proper ones for the batteries Im using. Would that be possible with the smart dongle or do I need the MK3?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@snoobler

Unless we are doing more complex systems, I can do everything from Victron Connect.

Mk3 adaptor and otg to my phone (victron connect) works well for everything else.

7 comments
2 |3000

showtime3 avatar image showtime3 commented ·
So changing the settings for new batteries is possible on Connect now? Via the bluetooth dongle or only mk3?

Kind of crazy this is still so archaic and not included with the inverters at the very least. Considering how cutting edge Victron is in most ways.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ showtime3 commented ·
To change settings you need a MK3 Interface, the Bluetooth dongle is only for monitoring.

With VictronConnect you can 'only' change the most basic settings, for more complex programming with the assistants you need to use VE.Config which is only available for windows.

In my opinion it is good that is is not to easy to access and change settings (but it is still to easy). You can easily mess up your system or damage your equipment if you don't know what you are doing.

0 Likes 0 ·
showtime3 avatar image showtime3 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
But a person that pays the $1300+ for a Victron inverter/charger needs to be able to change the settings to work with their batteries. Are all those settings available on Victron Connect without the PC? Via MK3 to phone or Mac.

Crazy that an additional $70 part is needed to do something so basic and necessary.

0 Likes 0 ·
ofernander avatar image ofernander showtime3 commented ·
I and many others totally agree with you about this. The business model of only allowing "certified" techs to change "advanced" settings on these inverters is a little insulting.

That being said you can do all the same functions as the MK3 device on the VM portal using the VEconfigure software. On the portal go to your device download the settings .rvsc file, modify to your desired settings and re-upload via the portal.

0 Likes 0 ·
showtime3 avatar image showtime3 ofernander commented ·

On previous project I just ordered everything from Battleborn and had them configure it. But In order to do that you are paying the Battleborn tax of overpriced batteries. No interest in that anymore.

I know Victrons dream is to not have to offer customer support at all. But its just silly. There are tons of places selling this stuff and few offering free config. None that I know of offering config at all unless you are also buying your batteries from them.

So there are many many customers buying just a Victron inverter/charger only to then find out they cant configure it themselves unless they buy another expensive piece of equipment. And also a Windows PC that less and less people want in the first place.

Its just a anti consumer business practice. Which is a real shame because their products are pretty fantastic. Just hope they eventually leave this archaic business practice behind. At a very minimum there is no logical reason bluetooth isnt built into the multiplus like their other equipment and then allow all settings to be changed via the phone app. Its not hard to make certain settings have a warning screen or some code you have to enter. People arent going to just be accidentally changing this stuff.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ showtime3 commented ·
We are setting up all devices for our customers for free if they want.

You can also use remote VE.config via the VRM portal and run VE.config in a VM on Linux or Mac.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-veconfigure

0 Likes 0 ·
mark184 avatar image mark184 commented ·

need to understand this answer better. Does the multiplus deliver with user ability to configure to AGM batteries for example (without the need for the MK3 dongle)?

0 Likes 0 ·
stepir avatar image
stepir answered ·

I know this is not what you are asking but you can do it without being physically connected to the device with a pf via remote ve configure

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-veconfigure

You still need a pc (or a VM) to change the config file with ve configure - but then the rest is done remotely via we browser

2 |3000

scraggs avatar image
scraggs answered ·

I have to say I think the way Victron uses different interfaces and some aren't supported unless you buy special cables at insane prices is a bit disappointing when you are spending a considerable amount of money on their products.
A prime example is needing a cable for a smartshunt to PC as smartshunt via bluetooth is not supported on a PC via connect.
Appears to be a bit of a money spinner.

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

The lack of Bluetooth connectivity for Windows is annoying. Victron is not the only manufacturer with this issue. Microsoft needs to fix their Bluetooth stack, it's terrible.
Bluetooth works fine on everything else - Mac or Linux / iOS or Android.

As for the MK3. I'd rather just buy one of those once as a tool and not have to pay extra for its inclusion in every inverter unit.
Like if you buy 18 Quattro's for a big 3 phase system, do you want to pay for 18 built in MK3 devices to do nothing when you only need one? Maybe you don't need one at all because you already have one rattling around in your toolbox.
Even just two MultiPlus' for a split phase, I'd rather only pay for one MK3 interface device rather than two if they were built in.

0 Likes 0 ·
ltmonger avatar image
ltmonger answered ·

I am using MAC OS X Big Sur 11.6.4 on 2013 MacBook Air and successfully updated firmware and settings in my Multiplus 3000va 12V. I have 2018 Winnebago View 24J with four LionEnergy UT-1300's in parallel, Victron BMV-712 and SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 plus 480 watts of solar panels(3). I wired system using 1/0 welding cables for intra-connections and 2/0 on the battery bank endpoints. So far the system is behaving well.

1 comment
2 |3000

Russell Brown avatar image Russell Brown commented ·
How did you do that with your Mac ? how did you connect to the Multiplus ?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic