question

mjrobichaud avatar image
mjrobichaud asked

Wakespeed ws500 with lynx bms

Anyone familiar with the wakespeed ws500?

I’m really struggling to get it going (to no fault of them - I think it’s the alternator shop I’ve been going to might be modifying the alternator incorrectly).

I have a 12V/175A aux alternator. It had an internal regulator but it’s been modified such that one field wire goes to ground and the other is exposed and can connect to the ws500 field wire.

I originally had the negative harness from wakespeed, but with how the alternator is modified now, I believe this is “positive” field regulation, correct?

Should I get the positive harness or can I simply change the alternator so one brush goes to positive and the other is exposed to the ws50?

Have fried the diodes 2x now (ironic given the ws500 is designed to prevent this haha…) and keen not to do it yet again.

Thanks in advance!!

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hi @mjrobichaud , This is interisting how this would work.

In this picture both would go to the WS500. The negative as well, but the other two also.

Can you share a diagram of your connection.

This is a common question for many, as we all want to charge out Lithium safely

1640824534708.png

Regards,

Rob

1640824534708.png (137.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dennison-p-pulgarin avatar image
dennison-p-pulgarin answered ·

hello @mjrobichaud, i am olny adding information, here you have a link with information of the WakeSpeed and Smart lithium Batteries.

http://wakespeed.com/CU/Victron%20SmartLithium.pdf

2 |3000

egenolf avatar image
egenolf answered ·

It is possible and even desirable to completely bypass (or remove) the existing internal regulator.

But (!) the field (rotor - brushes) must be completely free from ground or alternator body - this is usually the case. Also the brush connections must be electrically free from ground or alternator body.

I believe you can then use either pos or neg harness and connect to ground as desired.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic