question

Luke Rhodes avatar image
Luke Rhodes asked

Lynx Smart BMS vs Separate Parts (Price and Features)

Hi, I'm trying to justify the cost of the Lynx Smart BMS 500A which costs ~$1,460.00 AUD currently.

I believe it essentially replaces combines following parts:

- Victron Lynx Shunt VE.Can 1000 ($480.00 AUD)
- Victron Smart BMS 12/200 Battery Management System ($370 AUD)
- Victron SmartShunt 500A ($180 AUD)

Total: $1030 AUD

The differences above are:

- The Lynx Shunt support 1000A vs Lynx Smart BMS 500A (at this price point).
- The Victron Smart BMS 12/200 does not support 24V and is limited to 200A
- Lynx Smart BMS is a more compact package.

Is there anything I'm missing here? This post isn't a criticism of the price, I'm just looking to ensure that I understand what I'd be getting comparatively.

Thanks!

Luke

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The Lynx Shunt is essentially a battery monitor so you would not also need a SmartShunt. It also includes a fuse that when used with Lynx distributors goes between the battery bank and the loads, so a master system fuse.

The Smart BMS includes an alternator interface (current limiter). But does not include charger disconnect. You need a separate battery protect for charging sources (except for an alternator).

The Lynx BMS includes charge and load safety-level protection via a contractor. For better control, you need charge/discharge control of all devices via a GX device, or battery protect(s). The Lynx BMS also includes pre-charge circuitry and the contractor can be used for system remote on/off.

What is best for you depends on your system. The Lynx BMS is a great choice if you need/want all it's functionality and can make use of the GX device "DVCC compatible" charge/discharge control.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic