question

Eran Rundstein avatar image
Eran Rundstein asked

Multiplus continues to charge even if disconnected from Cerbo GX

Hello everyone!

I have a REC BMS Q connected to my Cerbo GX, which is also connected to a Multiplus 3000. I have enabled DVCC/SVS/STS like the REC BMS manual suggests and I am running an unexpected problem: when I disconnect the BMS from the Cerbo, or when I disconnect the Multiplus from the Cerbo, the Multiplus continues charging.

I would've expected that if there is loss of communication the Multiplus will abort charging. Going over an Orion BMS manual, which is also Victron-CAN compatible, they do indicate that loss of communication should prevent the Multiplus from turning on.

The Cerbo GX manual also indicates that should be the case - in the section where they describe what happens if you power up the CerboGX from the Multiplus AC ouput. But in my setup for whatever reason if I power up the Multiplus with the Cerbo turned off, it is still happy to charge - which is unacceptable for safety reasons...

Does anyone have any idea what I am missing?

I'm attaching some photos of the information displayed on the Cerbo.

Thank you!

img-1752-copy.jpg

img-1753-copy.jpg

img-1755-copy.jpg

img-1756-copy.jpg

img-1757-copy.jpg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gxmultiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Its like that indeed. Not perfect, but is what it is. For best safety, make the BMS control a relay.

I can’t remember where, but a long time ago I wrote the same, but then more verbose, and end conclusion: for a safe system with 3rd party battery, have the safety features (relay) built into the battery/bms and controlled by the battery/bms.

Just like all the professionals do: BYD, Pylon, Battleborn, Freedomwon, and so forth.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Eran Rundstein avatar image Eran Rundstein commented ·
Thank you. The BMS does have a relay, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution given all these fancy buses. Oh well :/
0 Likes 0 ·