question

technomadia avatar image
technomadia asked

Feature Request: Remote Console on Multiple Displays

We like to keep a window open to keep tabs on our solar status on our computers, as well as on an iPad dedicated to the task.

The problem is - when one person checks the solar status, all the other displays are disconnected. The Remote Console view only supports a single viewer at a time.

This is frustrating - it would be great if simultaneous viewers were supported.

To avoid conflicts, perhaps some good be "Display Only" and only one could be "Interactive" at a time.

Thoughts?

This would improve the Venus experience immensely.

Or is there another simple and better web-view way to do this?

Venus OSCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
hobohome avatar image
hobohome answered ·

I use a program called "Magic Mirror" link here that runs on a Rpi. The is able to take data from many sources, including MQTT, and create a fairly attractive web page that can be accessed from many devices. You can style the display very simply using CSS. I see no reason why this could not be installed directly on the Venus device (I have not tried).

The only issue I have found is that you can not seem to have more than one display ratio - ie a design for portrait tablet does not look good on a landscape PC screen.

Another possibility is the open source home automation project OpenHab. OpenHab has a fantastic user interface called HabPanel that allows you to display data in almost any way you like. This DOES support different display types and sizes and basic graphing. I also have this working on some old tablets showing solar data from the Venus GX.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hobohome avatar image hobohome commented ·

This is HabPanel

0 Likes 0 ·
hobohome avatar image hobohome commented ·

And this is magic mirror on a larger display in my garage

0 Likes 0 ·
mrror.jpg (171.7 KiB)
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi @technomadia,

I have several full screen mirror displays running; no problems for months now, this works rock solid.

disable-hotkeys-in-venus-remote-console-on-lan.html

One mirror has to be VNC server.

Regards,

Markus

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, from Victron side:

- the current VNC solution does not allow more than one connection. We’re changing to a new one; somewhere in the coming ~12 months I expect, and that will support more connections

- the Marine MFD integration (search our blog) is actually a web page hosted on the Venus device. Soon we’ll have v2.30 in beta / candidate again; and then you can test that. See here for an idea: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-html5-app. Its running on http://venus.local/app

Hope that helps!

4 comments
2 |3000

technomadia avatar image technomadia commented ·

So the MFD display should also be viewable on tablets, phones, and computers on the LAN with the CCGX too? That is pretty cool.

Not as nice as the animated main Venus dashboard though. :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ technomadia commented ·

Indeed; viewable

0 Likes 0 ·
andy156 avatar image andy156 commented ·
Just curious. Did the new solution ever come to fruition? I see I am still running on VNC and can run only one connection.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
hobohome avatar image hobohome andy156 commented ·
Sorry, I don’t know. I moved to a different solution (magic mirror via MQTT).
1 Like 1 ·