question

ska avatar image
ska asked

BMV712 bluetooth not showing up

We have a BMV-712 with bluetooth that has suddenly stopped showing up in the VictronConnect APP. When i go into the settings menu on the module, the menu item #71 which is bluetooth on/off is missing. It just rolls over from #70 to #01.

I have tried reinstalling the app, on both and Iphone and an Android device, and clearing all paired bluetooth devices with no luck. We have a second BMV-712 on another system that shows up perfectly on both phones, so i'm positive it has something to do with the unit. I know it has worked before.

Basically i have the same problems as the guy in this thread "(Solved) BMV712 Bluetooth missing" , but i have had no luck with the solutions that was provided.

Any thoughts on how to get this working again? Can it be a firmware install that got corrupted?

BMV Battery MonitorBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, could you let me know what firmware version your BMV has? Its in the menu.

Thereafter, have you already tried power cycling the BMV?

You can do that by briefly disconnecting the red wire (or the fuse in it) between battery positive terminal and the fuse.

But also by unplugging the RJ-12 (old style phone like) cable at either end: at the shunt or at the back of the BMV.

I’ll look into it as well, especially your note that the menu skips the Bluetooth on/off setting.

I’m sure we’ll get this sorted! Sorry for the troubles.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps. if above doesn’t help, could you post a service report? To make that, go to the menu and then Settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
grahamgoa avatar image
grahamgoa answered ·

@SKA & @mvader (Victron Energy) - I just installed my new BMV712 today, I connected to it via Bluetooth no issues, was immediately prompted to do 2x firmware updates, following which I entered all my battery settings (capacity, charge voltage, etc).

I stepped away from the BMV712 for a few minutes and upon coming back to it, I cannot connect via Bluetooth again. It just doesn’t show in the device list.

I’ve since power cycled the BMV712, deleted and reinstalled the VictronConnect App and even power cycled my phone…..all with no success. I have a 15A Blue Smart Charger and can connect to it without any issues.

I wander if it is a Firmware Issue. I’m running 4.07 if it’s of any help to you.

6 comments
2 |3000

Hi @GrahamGOA

When you go to settings on the BMV itself (so not via the app, but on the display), is setting nr 71 - Bluetooth mode visible and what is the value?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
grahamgoa avatar image grahamgoa Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Hi @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff)

I don’t have a setting 71. It jumps from setting 70 to 72 on the BMV.
0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ grahamgoa commented ·

Hi @GrahamGOA

Can you perhaps create a service report after opening VictronConnect and letting it scan for a minute or so? The procedure is described here: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report

Please attach the service report to a comment here.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
grahamgoa avatar image grahamgoa Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Thanks for your help so far @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff)

Here is the Service Report

VictronConnect_report.log

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ grahamgoa commented ·

Hi @GrahamGOA

The service report does not provide any new information, in the sense that the BMV712 is indeed not visible. Unfortunately, we can draw no other conclusion than that this is a hardware malfunction, so please contact your seller for RMA/Warranty.

To help us investigate possible production problems, can you please give the serial number of the BMV712? It should be on a sticker on the back and start with HQ.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) for all your help. The serial number is HQ2122AXCP9.

I do believe my seller is watching this (hello Adam), so I'll chat with him & go from there.

0 Likes 0 ·