question

bezda avatar image
bezda asked

lynx smart bms - no signal on ATC/ATD

Hi, I've plugged in my Lynx Smart BMS and I'm getting no voltage between ATC/ATD and negative on Battery-in, even though in Victron Connect both signals are enabled. Any idea what could have gone wrong?

There don't seem to be any other required connections in the manual 1639483229615.png

BMS
1639483229615.png (44.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @bezda,

the switch in VC is only intended to temporary put the device in standby.

The system will go into hibernate if the battery voltage was low for 2 hours (or disconnected physically) without being charged. This to protect the batteries against deep discharge.

The system reactivates when a charge voltage is detected (vbat+0,5V) or when the remote is switched. If you haven't connected a remote switch, then you need to disconnect and re-connect the bridge at the remote on/ff connection terminals.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bezda avatar image bezda commented ·

I'm not sure I understand what do you mean. My batteries are fully charged and I'd expect HI signal on my ATD, which I'm not getting and my Battery Protect is off with the message "Disabled by REMOTE"

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ bezda commented ·

You said "I've plugged in my Lynx Smart BMS". This leads to the assumption that you have disconnected it for some reason. You did not tell us why and how you have "unplugged" the Lynx Smart BMS. If you have put it into Standby using the switch in VictronConnect, ARTC and ATD becomes low. After 2 hours the LSB will go into hibernate mode to save power. After that it is not enough to switch the BMS on with the switch in VictronConnect.

You must use the procedure explained in my other post, which is vbat +0.5V or remote on/off switch.

Even when you're batteries are fully charged, you still will need to use the remote switch or the bridge at the remote on/off connection terminal to get ATC and ATD high.

0 Likes 0 ·
bezda avatar image bezda Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Sorry I should have said "installed", instead of "plugged". The BMS on VictronConnect is in Running mode, not in Hibernate and the BMS state is in "Allowed to Charge" and "Allowed to Discharge". My MultiPlus has successfully went thru charging cycle after installing the Lynx BMS

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ bezda commented ·

Ok, understood.

What is the state of the Status LED on the BMS?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·
And I think you have wired this wrong.

ATC/ATD are potential free contacts. This means a wire from Battery positive to a fuse to the ATC contact to the H-terminal on your Battery protect. Same for ATD.

3 comments
2 |3000

bezda avatar image bezda commented ·

I see, the ATC/ATD on the Lynx BMS works differently from ATC/ATD on Ve.BUS BMS.

Tested that with multimeter and I now understand what I need to do.

It just seem to me that the system examples in sections 5.1.3 to 5.1.5 in https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Lynx_Smart_BMS/Lynx_Smart_BMS_Manual-en.pdf are misleading, since they don't visualise the power in.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes, sorry for the misunderstanding. This happens when you read too much into it and don't read the original text correctly. Glad it's working now.

0 Likes 0 ·
And yes, those examples in the manual are definitely misleading. I will forward this to the developers and ask them to correct this.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic