question

joshua-gabel avatar image
joshua-gabel asked

VE.Can or?? How do you connect your Lynx Shunt to Venus Pi?

moto trailer solar (3).pdfQuestion:
How best to connect the Lynx Shunt when using Venus Raspberry Pi?

As shown in the attached Diagram the Yellow Wire is what I am trying to solve for.
With a Cerbo I understand there is a VE.Can port that you would use and all would be well. For Venus OS on the Raspberry PI, the only thing I can find is a $500+ adapter to go from VE.Can to USB. That is beyond what I want to spend. What are my options?

I don't Mind building a custom cable. Just not sure which way to go. thanks in advance.

Admin please move post if wrong category.

Venus OSRaspberry PiVE.Canlynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

Unfortunatly a custom cable will not help. You need a CAN interface, that works with the Linux SocketCAN implementation. There are a number of either USB CAN adapters or PI Hat CAN interfaces. Take a look at

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/RaspberryPi-CAN-Interfaces

Also take a look at

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/canbus

I have a https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/2-CH_CAN_HAT working without any issues, not expensive.

There are some further configuration changes you may need to get the interfaces working. Detail exists in the various wiki pages referenced above, or can be found in scripts here

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

joshua-gabel avatar image joshua-gabel commented ·
bathnm,

I have received and installed the Can-hat you recommended. I have also followed all instructions on the two links you provided.

would you mind sharing how you wired the can-bus device to the can-hat?

I am trying to connect a Smartsolar 250-100 mppt to the hat. (RJ-45 connector) but not sure what wires go where.

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm joshua-gabel commented ·

This screenshot came from one of the Victron documents. This has the pinouts that Victron use for VE.Can. The simplest thing to do is cut the end of an RJ45 cable. Connect the RJ45 to the SmartSolar and the wired end to the HAT. You need to connect Can Hi, Can Lo and negative.

Have you checked the PI and that can0 and can1 is detected.

1640256973490.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
1640256973490.jpeg (234.0 KiB)
joshua-gabel avatar image
joshua-gabel answered ·

Thank you so much! I have ordered the Hat that you are using and will report back when I get it all setup and try it out. Cheers!!

2 |3000

custom avatar image
custom answered ·

I can't recommend a CAN interface for the Raspberry with the MCP2515 chip. This chip has only a RX buffer for two frames and therefore frames are often lost due to a overflow. A CAN interface with the MCP2518FD is a much better choice. Unfortunately HATs with this chip are expensive because the chip is also affected by the worldwide chip shortage.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual