question

karlsvan avatar image
karlsvan asked

Smart Shunt - Wiring Extra Bow Battery

Hi,

How should I connect my extra bow battery to see the correct load in the Smart shunt. Today it´s connected as the attached picture. The problem is for example when I use my aft anchor winch, then the extra bow battery charges my main bank and the battery capacity is not correct. I assume I will have the same problem when i use my bow thruster and all my other consumers.

Does anyone know how I should wire my bow battery to have everything work correctly?

Shunt_Kopplingar.pdf

SmartShuntbatterywiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The negative of the bow battery should be connected to the negative of the other batteries, not to the consumers. That way the current through it is seen by the shunt. But then you effectively have one battery bank. If the batteries are of different types, you need completely separate circuits and a second shunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

karlsvan avatar image
karlsvan answered ·

Thank you for answer. If I connect the bow battery to the negative of the other batteries the shunt don´t see the consumption of the bow thruster? The upside with connecting the bow battery to the other batteries is that I will see correct info about charging all batteries, correct?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Wiring Unlimited Book