question

martin-fi avatar image
martin-fi asked

Lynx Smrt BMS 500 - BMS Cable Failure - Reset possible ?

I´ve got a Lynx Smart BMS with the latest firmware and a Victron Lithium Smart 12,8V/100Ah Battery.

During discharge process a failure (BMS Cable Failure) occured. No cables were touched during or before the failure.

I tried another Victron Lithium Smart 12,8V/100Ah Battery which could be discharged for 5 minutes and after this the same failure (BMS Cable Failure) occured.

Switching back to the first battery didnt solve the problem. Leaving the Lynx Smart BMS currentless didn´t help either.

I´m connecting only one battery simultaneously without any extension cable. The connection port for the BMS cable is intact.

What can I do ? Is there a reset option ?

BMSwiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Martin_FI,

it rings a bell here. But before we go further, can you please provide us with some more info about the batteries.

1. Has there been any pre-alarm or under voltage alarm from the batteries before the cable error came up?

2. What are the cell voltages of the batteries?

3. What's the firmware version of your Lynx Smart BMS?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

martin-fi avatar image
martin-fi answered ·

Hi Stefanie,

1. Yes.

2. Before discharging the battery was full. Cell Voltages 3.55V 3.54V 3.53V 3.55V

3. Lynx Smart BMS Firmware v1.02. Battery also latest Firmware.

I disconnected the battery from the Lynx Smart BMS and charged it with a Multi Plus. After reconnecting the charged battery to the Lynx Smart BMS the system worked fine. I guess that the Lynx Smart BMS discharged the battery until the BMS Board couldnt communicate with the Lynx Smart BMS (also VE BUS BMS didnt work --> no blue light). Connecting with the Victron App worked fine.

I also found out that the Lynx Smart BMS looses its settings.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Martin_FI,

latest firmware for the Lynx Smart BMS is 1.03.

According to the change log there was an issue with the BMS cable error detection.

• BMS cable error detection removed. The detection could give false cable error detections when more than 1 battery was connected. This could lead to a lock-up because charging and discharging is not allowed. The detection has been removed because it is impossible to detect a faulty BMS cable when there is more than one battery connected

And I also had a problem with loosing BMS settings in one of the beta firmwares, which should be fixed in 1.03. So if that was not a typo by you, please update the firmware and see if that cures the problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
martin-fi avatar image
martin-fi answered ·

You´re right Stefanie. I had a lockup. I always had just one battery connected.

I thought that I have the latest Firmware because my Victron Connect App wasn´t the latest :(

I updated the Victron App and could update the Lynx Smart BMS. I will disconnect the battery for some hours and see if the settings still remain saved. Thank you a lot for your help !

Also now testing if after discharing the Battery still charging is allowed to avoid a lockup.

1 comment
2 |3000

I never tested disconnecting the battery completely from the BMS. Curious about the outcome. Please let us know.

On the other hand there is no real need to disconnect the battery. You can switch the BMS into standby. Power consumption then is only 10.4mW or less than 1mA.

0 Likes 0 ·
martin-fi avatar image
martin-fi answered ·

Hello Stefanie,

yes it works with the Firmware 1.03 . The Lynx Smart BMS won´t loose its settings after disconnecting the battery.

Thanks a lot for you´re help.

1 comment
2 |3000

Glad that it works for you now. Thanks for the feedback.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic