question

parts avatar image
parts asked

How to set up an auxillary alternator to charge Victron batteries and keep them isolated from starting batteries?

2016 Ford Transit Van w/ Victron Solar System

Along with

-MPPT 100-30

-Orion Isolated Converter

-BMS 12/200

-2x 12.8V -200aH Victron Batteries

2nd Alternator:

Ford 12v/200A

P#A2-0072-280XP

Regulator:

P#MC614H

Customer would like the auxiliary alternator that we added to the vehicle to charge the Victron Battery bank so it will be isolated from the starting batteries all together. What is needed to make this happen / how should it be wired?

alternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Then auxiliary alternator also needs its own battery, or should be on the starter battery. This as its required to regulate itself even when the lithium set doesnt take power.

When on the starter battery its easy, then nothing is needed as the BMS will take care. When its on its own buffer battery a Cyrix-li-charge can be used. In order to have this controlled a Ve Bus BMS must be added which will get into the loop of the battery communication cable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

murph avatar image murph commented ·

See my answer below, there is possibly a better alternative with a Balmar MC regulator. Alternatively, I'd be glad to know if I've misunderstood what's possible with the MC.

0 Likes 0 ·
murph avatar image
murph answered ·

I could be wrong here, but I've been researching the Balmar regulators for a future project I'm considering. From what I can determine, a buffer battery & charge relay should not normally be required with the Balmar MC regulators controlling an aux alternator (assuming no internal regulator connected, only the external MC). It should be possible to simply switch off the field current by switching the Balmar MC's "ignition" wire with a relay controlled by the Lithium BMS, dropping the charge current to basically zero (possibly give or take an insignificant amount from residual magnetism).

The most recent MC regulators have a mode for LFP batteries (giving appropriate bulk/abs/float), or you can set the individual levels.

Obviously this is something that needs to be fully tested & verified on each unique alternator configuration. It is not suitable for any BMS which directly disconnects the charge circuit, unless the alternator has protection for that.

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Yes that works, you configure the Alternator voltage correctly, and the bms can turn of the alternatore when something is wrong (cell overvoltage, temperature too low / high)

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic