question

stillrv avatar image
stillrv asked

Can I disable the automatic switchover in a Multiplus Compact 12/2000?

I have not bought an inverter charger yet, but I plan to. But I don't want the inverter automatically turning on when shore power is lost. That will being draining my batteries while perhaps powering devices I do not want it to. I only want to (manually) turn the inverter on just before I use the microwave and then I'll turn it back off.

To put it another way - I want to be able to leave the camper, while powering AC devices inside from shore power, knowing that if shore power is lost my batteries won't be discharged. I do not need any kind of Uninterruptible Power Supply features.

Is this possible? I see the "UPS Function" setting, that sounded like exactly what I want, but when I looked it up that setting is something about the quality of power at which it will switch over.

multiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

According to the manual, when the inverter control switch is set to “Charge Only” it will still pass AC Line power through to the outputs of present.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There's a three position switch. Off, On, Charger only. Charger only does pass the AC through, yes. But it's part of the unit. So easy access needed.

There are also a couple of power saving modes, one is modified sine wave always on, the other(more effective) checks for an AC load every second or so, but is off in between checks. It does mean a short delay before things kick in, but it's not excessive. The load needed to keep this fully on is programmable.

Another option is to put an AC isolator between shore power and the unit, leave the unit switched on and use that. This might be better as the multi hums a little and has a very noisy fan which comes on depending on load.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic