question

menemek avatar image
menemek asked

Phoenix 24/3000, Is it possible to connect to a Honda generator?

Hello.

We have a Phoenix 24/3000 inverter and a Honda GX 390 generator with electric ignition.

Is there any way to connect this generator to the inverter? In the manual I have not been able to find an explanation of how to do it.

Thank you

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
bruces avatar image
bruces answered ·

Until someone else answers .....

Can you see how to connect shore power into it? Well pretend the genny is shore power.

Not sure where you are but 230V is 230V regardless or where it comes from.

Some units (bigger?) have 2 inputs so you can put one on each but if it only has one input, you'll need a "changeover" switch for selecting inputs.

Now we'll wait for those that know....

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

In short. Don't.

The generator puts out AC, the Phoenix takes battery and puts out AC. You cannot connect the Honda output to the output from the phoenix. They will not be in phase. Good chance of destroying something.

I can think of two safe ways. Both messy.

1 have a selector switch to isolate the phoenix from AC then connect the Honda via a separate properly wired input to your AC. You'd need expert advice on this.

2 Wire the Honda through a suitable AC:DC charger to your battery bank. This isolates the AC sides. All AC loads have to remain as is, taken through the Phoenix. If you already have AC input to a charger, this would need to be isolated, then the Honda could feed in there instead of the AC.

2 |3000

menemek avatar image
menemek answered ·

Thank you very much for your help bruce, kevgermany.

Phoenix Inverter Manual

This is what it says in the Phoenix manual, page 3: "Programmable relay The Phoenix Inverter is equipped with a programmable relay, which by default is set as an alarm relay. The relay can be programmed for all kinds of other applications however, for example as a starter relay for a generating set."

If I understood well , it is possible to program this relay to assign the automatic start function for an external generator. I'm right? If so, how can I program that relay?

regards

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
It's in there, but not specific. Section 5.3/5.4. PC, RJ45 cable, mk3 to USB adapter. And the VE configure software. You'll have to work out the wiring. Also see if you need a trickle feed to the generator starter battery.
0 Likes 0 ·
diamond avatar image
diamond answered ·

No.
The Phoenix is an inverter, with no integral charger.
There no AC Input on it.

2 |3000