question

techguru avatar image

Venus GX not detecting ET112 via RS485 but can see it on laptop

Hi,

I have a Venus GX and trying to use a ET112 via a RS485 cable when I plug it into a laptop that RS485 cable lights up and I can see the ET112, but when I plug the USB into the Venus GX I get nothing on the meters section and the RS 485 cable does not light up.

Should the RS485 cable light up when plugged into Venus GX device ?

Do I have to switch the RX\TX cables around between using it on a laptop to the Venus GX ?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Venus GX - VGXEnergy Meterrs485
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
techguru avatar image
techguru answered ·

Hi Just an update

I tried everything with the 3 types of USB->RS485 adapters but nothing worked, Decided to try the Victron usb->Rs485 cable and it worked

So I not sure what the differences are between the generic cables but the ET112 works first time with the Victron USB->RS485 cable.

Possible something to do with the power to the USB, as there was no power showing on the generic cable but the Victron cable lights up like a Christmas tree.

Cheers

Techguru

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daba avatar image
daba answered ·

The difference is inside the USB adaptor, you need to change a device name in the chip, so the Victron is able to identify, pls. check it was allready a post regarding this issue.

2 |3000