question

flip-flops avatar image
flip-flops asked

67 "BMS Connection Lost"

I have a MPPT 100/30, Multiplus 12/3000/120-50, Color Control Gx and a Li battery setup with a Ve.bus BMS.

When I set the 100/30 ->Networked Operations to controlled by BMS after about five minutes I get error #67 "BMS Connection lost" on the MPPT. I have updated all firmware/ software on all components in the system. reset both the multi and 100/30 back to factory settings and reprogrammed them yet the error still persists. Any ideas?

MPPT Controllerserror
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

15 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I have "BMS Controlled" switched off. If it is connected to the CCGX then it will be controlling the MPPT chargers. They will say "Networked" and "ESS".

Also the LED on the MPPT flashes briefly every few seconds to signify it is being controlled externally.

You can also see more about Error 67 here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/mppt-error-codes

1542294650109.png (27.2 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

flip-flops avatar image flip-flops commented ·

Thanks WKirby. Curious when would use select "BMS controller? I have a ve.direct BMS.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ flip-flops commented ·

Hi Flip Flops, that part of the user interface is confusing. We’ll fix it.

You don’t have to enable it in your case.

It’s never necessary to enable that setting. If required, the system will automatically enable it.

The purpose of that user setting is to have an option for the installer to Disable the setting if he wants to, which is necessary when, for example, taking the MPPT out of a certain type lithium system, and then reusing it in a lead battery system.

0 Likes 0 ·
mike48t avatar image
mike48t answered ·

This seems to be an unanswered question,

I have a similar Problem, Easy Solar 5000/48 with 10 BYD BOx 10, intermittently shows error 067, , all connections as recommended checked, and the only way to resolve it has been to reboot the Color GX under Settings , General, but its annoying and repetitive, all software, etc updated and reset to Defaults and reprogrammed done also,

3 comments
2 |3000

Sorry to be pedantic with this Mike, but we have updated firmware to address this issue.

Could you please check and tell me the specific firmware numbers of the individual devices in your system.

The easiest way to do this is via the VRM 'device list'.

0 Likes 0 ·
mike48t avatar image mike48t Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Gateway V2.22

VE BUS - 413

BMV BYD BOX 4.17

Solar Charger V 1,37

Thanks for input,

0 Likes 0 ·
mike48t avatar image mike48t mike48t commented ·

Hmm that went well, No reply?

0 Likes 0 ·
nathanielnzl avatar image
nathanielnzl answered ·

I am having the same issue in 2022

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Nathanielnzl,

There have been some significant improvements in firmware since this question was originally asked.

Error 67 can still occur though - and the details of why, and what to do are explained here in the MPPT Error codes - Err 67 - BMS Connection lost

0 Likes 0 ·
ralphie avatar image ralphie Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Guy,

I'm a little confused here.

Yesterday I setup an ESS with a MultiPlus-II 48/5000 - SmartShunt - Cerbo GX and an SmartSolar 250/70 (connected to Cerbo using CAN). Batteries are LiFePo4 without BMS.

The sun is up now and I get an error 67.

I watched Matthijs' video and the state of the solar charger should show ESS, but it shows 'External control'.

Please advice in what to do next.

Thx.

Ralph.

0 Likes 0 ·
h8mecz avatar image h8mecz commented ·

Have you solved this issue somehow? Thank you for the feedback in advance.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul avatar image
Paul answered ·

Any news here?

Same issue here after starting an ESS setup.

Maybe flash firmware to latest?

MP2 5000/48 is 14 months old/in use

2 |3000

Joe avatar image
Joe answered ·

Same problem for ages with a REC BMS and 2 x MPPTs using VE.direct via USB.

I just got the answer that my Raspi environment is not officially supported, but seems I am not the only one. Over the course of a day I am getting 5-10x Error #67, system deactivates itself and cannot recover alone. I am losing lots of electric energy due to this problem :(

All FWs are up-to-date, update to the latest did not resolve the issue.

2 |3000

pavelp avatar image
pavelp answered ·

Hi, I have same problem. After restart cerbo everithink is ok.

2 |3000

fredouille avatar image
fredouille answered ·

Similar problem with this config:
Port1, Remote Panel: BMS-V2 <=VE-Bus=> CerboGX <=VE-Direct> SmartSolar 150-35
Port2, MultiPlus: BMS-V2 <=VE-Bus=> MultiPlus 1600/24

All firmwares are up-to-date.
All cables have been controlled multiple times.

The problem is mega easy to produce :

1/ turn OFF MultiPlus

2/ As soon as the sun is present, the error #67 appears on MPPT after a few minutes

Would Victron please think of it?

It's getting boring to reset the BMS connection each time...

Additional info : each time the MultiPlus is turned OFF, the EventLog says "Change VE.Bus mode from 'On' to 'Off'"... looks like a function call is wrong ;)

2 |3000

Joe avatar image
Joe answered ·

This is obviously not related to a "not supported" REC-BMS like in my case nor to a Raspberry used instead of Cerbo.

If you google for Victron error #67 there are so many people reporting it, I am really wondering, why Victron is not looking into it.

It seems to be deep in the software if all possible "setups" are affected.

I am using Victron Venus / Raspberry / REC-BMS combination now 10 months, everything is on the latest FW but this error occurs every day. Really annoying!

2 |3000

Joe avatar image
Joe answered ·

Like said in my original post: buying a cheap USB hub and plugging both MPPTs (VE.direct -> USB) into the hub and only using one USB port from the Raspberry was my final solution to prevent error #67 in combination with a REC-BMS.

1 comment
2 |3000

Juraj Nikolov avatar image Juraj Nikolov commented ·

@Joe

After switching from offgrid to ESS, this problem started to arise for me as well, a year after I was in offgrid mode without any problems...
After resetting the Mppts to defaults and reconfiguring I set the battery load output to always off (before battery life) and this error seems to no longer occur. I'll give it 24 hours :)

1689533499874.png

Edit: didn't help

0 Likes 0 ·
1689533499874.png (15.5 KiB)
Juraj Nikolov avatar image
Juraj Nikolov answered ·

How can I eliminate this problem?
I reset the MPPT to factory settings and reconfigured it, it didn't help...
I exchanged battery modules between each other (pylontech) so the master is a different BMS, it didn't help...
I tried setting the alarm rules, it didn't help...
Why does the {multiplus} VE.BUS System [276] report that it has a low battery? Is it possible to set somewhere what should be taken as a low battery?
Paradoxically, this started happening to me when I switched from offgrid to ESS.
I've already gotten used to the ESS that I shouldn't take the information about sending energy to the grid "seriously" :P (it shows well at high power - otherwise it's just informative) :)
Why does BULK sometimes light up on MPII when the system is charged ? I don't quite understand this...
It sends alarms about every 3 hours...

What else can I do to make it stop annoying (besides going back to offgrid)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.png6.png7.png

8.png

1.jpg (83.4 KiB)
2.jpg (27.2 KiB)
3.jpg (34.6 KiB)
4.jpg (30.0 KiB)
5.png (21.1 KiB)
6.png (18.4 KiB)
8.png (35.5 KiB)
8.png (35.5 KiB)
2 |3000

waynevanwyk avatar image
waynevanwyk answered ·

Good day, I need assistance with Error #67, My system setup is as follow; 3 x MultiPlus-II 48/8000/110-100 in 3 phase configuration Firmware 502 . 2 x SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/85 rev2 Firmware V3.13, Cerbo GX Firmware V3.13. I have 6 x 5.12kWh Revov batteries connected. I have ESS installed on the system.

This system worked for about 6 to 8 months without any error of this sort. I now have this error at random times, I get Error 67, with low battery Alarm and the system sometimes also switches off. I have checked the VE.CAN and VE.BUS cables but everything seems to be in order, I have read all of the posts on this topic but I dont have a solution to this.

1704728655394.png

1704728655394.png (23.3 KiB)
2 |3000

sean-lepoidevin avatar image
sean-lepoidevin answered ·

Hi, is there any updates on this. I see people recently are still having this error. I have a system installation system has functioned well since it was commissioned at the beginning of 2023. The Error #67 error only appeared in late 2023, again yesterday and now three times today and is shutting down the system each time.

Followed all available instructions to resolve the issue -

Updated all firmwares, factory reset cerbo, adjusted settings. Followed steps outlined by Mathias here - Does GX firmware 2.80 have a bug with respect to MPPT connection to BMS? - Victron Community (victronenergy.com)

System Equipment:

• 3 x Quattro 8kVA 3-phase – FW494
  • 3 x 250/100 SmartSolar – FW v3.14
  • Cerbo GX - FW 3.13
  • 18 x Pylontech US2000 Batteries + Hub

Any help or suggestion ASAP would be great!

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Try this as you may be getting a ground loop occurring, and thus the data uart ports are getting overloaded and shuting down.

Setup a earth bus bar. And run a earth wire to all quattros and all mppt units and any other ve direct or ve.bus or ve.can units.

Then run one wire from the earth bus bar to the negative bus bar.

Basically trying to get all components to have the same ground potential.

This is not saying it will fix it but it's worth a try

2 |3000

sean-lepoidevin avatar image
sean-lepoidevin answered ·

An update to the solution we found to our version of this error. We found the Victron community thread that is in German, explaining that replacing the cerbo solved the issue. One week after replacing the cerbo, the issue has not been present and system has been stable.

We suspect there are Cerbos with some kind of error than can't be fixed with firmware updates or any of the solutions discussed above. I hope this helps others that find themselves in this situation.

Bitte um Hilfe, Error Code #67 & Low Battery Alarm / trotz geladener Batterie - Victron Community (victronenergy.com)

2 |3000

bulraydin avatar image
bulraydin answered ·

Hi , strangely after running without any problem for 2 years, I started having this problem of Error Code 67, Although the cerbo clearly sees the batteries and the multiplus are running fine , both MPPT chargers which are on the can-bus are giving this error. I wonder if this is related to the latest firmware update of Cerbo , 3.22 which was on the 27th February ...

My grounding system is fine, all devices are grounded to the same bus and also the negative of the battery.

Looking for solution and help urgently

Best Regards

Bülent Aydin

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Rather open your own thread on this subject. 3.22 did not make any changes to BMS.CAN. See changelog:

• Fix MQTT issue that caused time-outs and/or internal MQTT service restart in systems where the GX was receiving many MQTT writes. This affects systems with customer-own software, for example special control loops that run a different ESS algorithm than the standard Victron one. The bug was introduced per v3.20.
  • Improve firmware update stability of the Victron VM-3P75CT energy meter.
  • Fix bug that (sometimes) caused the VM-3P75CT to not be read out properly – when connected over VE.Can.
  • GUI: fix text in alarm and warning notifications of BMS and Charger alarms.

Simple solution is to revert to the backup version on the cerbo via the firmware page. If the problem disappears it may be version related, if not..

0 Likes 0 ·
bonie-wanda avatar image bonie-wanda nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Hi there

Please let me know how you came right. My system has the same issue. The New Venus GX worked for 3 days and stopped on the 4th day issuing the following errors:

• Venus GX > No grid meter alarm: Warning
  • BlueSolar MPPT 150/45 > #67 BMS connection lost
  • BlueSolar MPPT 150/45 > #67 BMS connection lost
  • MultiPluss II > Low battery voltage

Please help when you find a solution

Regards

Bonie

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes