question

steve-smith avatar image
steve-smith asked

Pylontech Internal Error Alarm

A little over one month ago I installed Pylontech US2000C batteries in my system. All was well for 3 weeks and then 2 weeks ago the first Internal Error appeared.

Having scoured the internet and following the advice from Victrons own documentation I lowered the DVCC Maximum voltage to 51.2 (15 x the voltage of the lowest cell voltage seen in the remote console)

I could see in the VRM Portal that there were multiple spikes in the Min/Max Cell Voltage's when there was no corresponding spikes in the AC Load (perhaps someone from Victron or Pylontech whould care to eloborate on that)

Over time the number of spikes diminished, until yesterday when they were back and today, once again, an Internal Error Alarm happened.

Looking at the data from the VRM Portal I can see that the spikes only happen when the cell voltages reaches 3.27 and the alarm happens when the Max cell voltage hits 3.89, a difference of 0.62 volts. This behaviour has been consistant for all of the alarms, to date there have been 12 of them in a 2 week period.

I am now somewhat at a loss as to what can be done to mitigate this problem.

Screenshot 2021-11-18 095632.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-18 095535.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-18 100340.jpg

Pylontechalarm
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Steve Smith

So several causes I have seen for this scenario include: -

1. Battery bank is too small to sink overshoot on solar generation when a load drops off. (a total guess as I know nothing about your system)

2. master battery has an issue (easily solved change which one is the master.)

3. Batteries bms are going to sleep from not being used. (try setting SOC to draw down 95% or allowing some cycling on the bank. alternatively preventing the system from taking it up to 100% SOC) If ess is loaded onto the system it will power assist using the batteries also preventing sleep.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steve-smith avatar image steve-smith commented ·
I doubt it is a solar generation overshoot problem as these problems occur during the night.

Switching the master battery is, indeed an option, although I do wonder why this should be required on a new system.
Batteries are at 50-60% SOC when the spikes occur and as this is an off grid system they are cycling everyday.

0 Likes 0 ·
steve-smith avatar image
steve-smith answered ·

It's now been over a week since I posted this problem, in the meantime I have switched the master battery and so now the error can occur daily without me having to reset the whole system but the problem still persists.

I must say I am extremely disappointed that no one from either Victron or Pylontech feels able to respond to my problem, my distributer is equally closed mouthed, all of which makes me seriously want to re-consider my usage of this system

Victron? Pylontech? Anyone?

2 comments
2 |3000

jrgilchrist avatar image jrgilchrist commented ·
Hi Steve! I'm now having the exact same problem as you, down to the cell voltages. Did you ever find a fix?
0 Likes 0 ·
wushoubo avatar image wushoubo commented ·

Ask you supplier to replace the battery, it's cell quality problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Your distributor is responsible for victron support in country.

You can also log a case with pylontech directly.

People here will try and help but it isn’t a support site, complex issues are difficult to help with on a forum like this.

2 |3000

cristimv avatar image
cristimv answered ·

Can you provide more details of your system? How many US2000, what invertor are you using, etc? How do you expect to get support when you share only a small piece?

2 |3000

jamie-robinson avatar image
jamie-robinson answered ·

HI All.

I am getting similar issues with 2 ESS systems I have just installed. They are on neighbouring houses with different load profiles and different amounts of PV charging. Both 5KVA Multiplus 2 one with 4x us2000 and one with 8x us 2000.

Both battery banks giving regular internal alarms. Have installed many US 3000 batteries and many BYD batteries and never had a problem with any of them.

This is doing my head in!!

2 |3000

gaetan-deledda avatar image
gaetan-deledda answered ·

Hello, same issue here with new batteries, do you find the solution?

Thanks!

1669472962295.png

1669472962295.png (37.9 KiB)
2 |3000

klandos avatar image
klandos answered ·

I had the same problem. Changing the faulty pylontech fixed it.

2 |3000

dirk-s avatar image
dirk-s answered ·

The related Pylontech battery is broken. As far as I have read in a German community the BMS must be replaced by Pylontech.

2 |3000

gaetan-deledda avatar image
gaetan-deledda answered ·

thank you for your support, I will ask retailler to change it.

1 comment
2 |3000

dirk-s avatar image dirk-s commented ·
I have checked today. There shall be a firmware upgrade which fix this issue in most cases.
0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

I am suffering the same issue with US3000's in 2 ESS sites. One with a single MP II 48/5000, and the other with 2 x MPII 48/5000 in parallel. Have sent a US3000C for repair and reinstalled it but still having the same issue. Both sites from this year and relatively new. Started a couple of weeks after install.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic