question

peter12381 avatar image
peter12381 asked

Victron-Pylontech high voltage alarms

I’m having what seems to have been a common Victron-Pylontech problem, namely high voltage alarms. I am off-grid, and have an EasySolar II with two US3000 Pylontech batteries, which I installed a few months ago. Because initially I only had a few panels (needed to build a verandah so the rest could go on its roof) the SOC rarely got much above 80%, and I kept the show on the road with a generator. Last week I switched on the full complement of panels and since then, whenever batteries reach about 51.5V or 90% SOC, I receive repeated high voltage alarms.

I looked at the Victron-Pylontech set up document:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

A suggestion in Section 9 (FAQ and known issues) was to allow cell charge levels to balance out by temporarily limit the maximum charge voltage, and it showed the screen:

1630662695577.pngHowever when I use Remote Console to look at the DVCC menu I see no option to do that:

1630662741247.png

Am I perhaps missing something here, or has that override capability recently been removed?

Any suggestions would be welcome, especially if they don’t involve doing things that might affect the battery warranty, like disabling DVCC.

Pylontechalarm
1630662695577.png (80.1 KiB)
1630662741247.png (122.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Jack Peters avatar image
Jack Peters answered ·

Have you updated the firmware version in the GX card?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

peter12381 avatar image
peter12381 answered ·

VRM shows all firmware is up to date. EasySolar II GX is v2.51

2 |3000

peter12381 avatar image
peter12381 answered ·

A correction to my previous posting. I had thought that firmware updates for all the devices in my installation were handled on the VRM Device List page. However, as I was browsing menus in the Remote Console, I came across another place where firmware can be updated, and it indicated that the latest version for my GX device is 2.73, not 2.51. I've updated that now and the new firmware offers the Limit Battery Charge option which I have implemented. So thanks Jack for the advice.

I'll run it at 51.2V max for a few days and then see if the high voltage alarms return when I remove the limitation.

It might be good if someone from Victron could add a note the VRM Device List page pointing out where you need to go to update the actual GX firmware, as opposed to the devices that are connected to the GX device.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic