question

craig avatar image
craig asked

Warranty reimbursement

What is victrons policy on reimbursement of replacing their faulty equipment? We've replaced a few different manufacturers products under warranty (SMA, Solaredge etc) and they pay a fee for a tech to go to site, fault find and replace. Haven't been able to get anything out of victron, is this standard for them?

fault
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
@Craig

It is more a relationship you have with your supplier and installer. They are the ones responsible for warranty assesment and replacement arrangements.

The steps for support can be found on this link.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

craig avatar image
craig answered ·

thanks @Alexandra, we installed the system a few years back. The internal tests of the multiplus 2 failed. We went to site to diagnose, its a hybrid system so bypassed the inverter in the switchboard. We then took the inverter to be assessed and repaired. We paid for a courier to pick it up, and then install it, programmed it and tested it, all for nothing. This isn't normal for a manufacturer to pay nothing for their equipment to be repaired and replaced. Is this always the case? if so we might start using alternative products.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Under warranty normally the product is repaired or replaced (depending on assesment) with no charge from the Victron side.

But if you read the terms of warranty of most dealerships it is a carry in warranty, meaning it is usually up to the purchaser to bring it into a centre.

If the local dealership have incurred costs that would be up to them to charge you for those kinds of services. So return shipping would be a cost to you, at least it has been so in all my dealings even non Victron products.

0 Likes 0 ·
Policy is available for viewing. And here is an example of a company who appears to have different standards to others. Most will only cover products that are purchased from them directly. The warranty policy is available for viewing.
0 Likes 0 ·
ldwh avatar image
ldwh answered ·

As a purchaser of a Multiplus last year (for a motorhome), and having it programmed and installed by the supplier (authorised Victron distributor) for it only to develop a fault code on the 3rd occasion of use. The supplier did supposedly fix it but I had to take it to them, a round trip of nearly 200 miles. It failed completely within 24 hours 3 days later the first time I plugged it into shore power. This was mid August, since then despite numerous attempts to contact the supplier, Victron UK, and Victron Netherlands (by phone, text, emails, and in writing) have had zero response. So your experience appears to be not uncommon.

3 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Sale of goods act. Supplier is directly responsible in the UK. If they still exist there get a case going in the small claims court.
0 Likes 0 ·
@LDWH

That sounds like a supplier problem not a Victron problem. I am with kevgermany on this. There is a responsibility from their end to make good on the service backup.

0 Likes 0 ·
ldwh avatar image ldwh Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I would have hoped Victron UK and Victron NL at least replied. The supplier according to Companies House is under a notice, so very disappointing to find out Victron themselves do not stand behind their own warranties. This has been taken to Trading Standards now though if the supplier as a Ltd company ceases to exist pursuing reimbursement in the small claims court is pointless.
0 Likes 0 ·
craig avatar image
craig answered ·

Thanks everyone. Since we installed this particular system, we have covered the costs this time. We've dealt with SMA and Solar edge on warranty issues and freight is free, they ship the replacement, and pay a set fee for the technicians time. I'm normally fairly careful who we deal with in regards to equipment quality and warranties etc, but have been caught out this time. As with others, we work remote, so it's not just a 5 minute drive down the road. Our process so far has been to go to site, fault find. Head back (as sometimes there is no mobile reception). Contact victron supplier and check unit is under warranty, head out to grab the unit and bring it back, send it in to victron for repair (at our cost), pick it up and take it back out to the site, install it and program it, test and leave site again. Hours and hours of work for nothing. Good luck to victron getting us to fix a site we haven't installed, no way would I incur all those costs when it's their equipment at fault.

2 comments
2 |3000

ldwh avatar image ldwh commented ·

Huge disappointment in the attitude of Victron and a warranty. Sorry you have the same experience. Now been told by Victron warranty is invalidated if the installation is carried out by someone not officially trained and authorised by themselves, even though in my case this was done by an authorised Victron seller. So where does that leave the obvious thousands of Victron purchasers who do self installations, qualified or hobbyists?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ ldwh commented ·

@LDWH

If installed according to the manual/instructions then all should be fine. I have seen backup for hobbyist installs.

Usually many do not follow instructions or lie about what they did to kill a product. To a trained person it is usually pretty obvious. And all distributors should back up the products they have dispatched. All amazon purchases have a distributor. If you check the links you will see it clearly stated.

Victron have a very small core staff so there is a chain for it to pass up through. If a distributor/supplier is not doing its job then obviously that is a different issue.

screenshot-20211122-171645.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Faults with Victron equipment are best discussed directly with your dealer - this can be formalised with this support request form.