question

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett asked

Idea: Finer insect Grille in Inverters

I've had a pair of Multiplus inverters running in parallel for several years, Living in a warm climate, we have geckos running around and crawling into things. Several times I've woken up to a small of burning an a fizzing noise as one fries itself betrween the AC board of the inverter and the case. This has lead to a problem with one of the AC boards not detecting the generator. I've also had to run with the front covers off in order to both facilitate the removal and to discourage them from entering, as they prefer dark holes to lay their eggs in.

@mvader (Victron Energy) PLEASE can you fit a finer mesh behind the ventilation slots on high voltage equipment to keep insects out? This would be much appreciated. Then people living in the tropics would not have to risk invalidating warranty by doing this for themselves?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerfeature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi Mike,

see here: this has been discussed before Multiplus II failure due to lizard - Victron Community (victronenergy.com)

BR

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) " Yes, we're aware this must be better. Actually we already have implemented an improvement for this in production. For those into the details: the improvement will be done in two stages, first by making it harder to crawl under the PCB (in case lizard already in product). And later we'll also go into mesh to make sure critters such as lizards can't even get in the product. But thats needs more testing & more work so for now is not implemented yet."

Comment made MID 2020; BUT NO CHANGE YET.

Thanks markus - I did look at the other thread.

Yes, the screen does need to be insect mesh size - SMA have this over a clip on filter for their external fans for cooling their STP series inverters. The problem of dust build up is NOT a big issue if you are aware it happens - an annual service with paint brush and vacuum cleaner will sort this. The concept of preventing the access to the under-side of the HV board did cross my mind as well: this can be done with a foam shape - or better with a conformal coating on the board (same as the outback series inverters - which are in totally sealed cases, with external convection cooling. This makes them look big and ugly though). the conformal coating would be good for the product generally - extending its life in a salt mist environment = Marine (big use) and Tropical island (big/ expanding market?).

I've used conformal coatings in the past on other electronics - this does require a treat and cure stage in the production, whilst this adds cost it could initially be offered as an option? (introduces logistics problems) or restricted to the high voltage boards.

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Mike Dorsett

For a while now all MPII's have a 'gecko guard' under the PCB to prevent small animals from getting between the PCB and the inverter housing, just as you described the issue in your first post.

4 comments
2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
I just purchased a MPII 24/3000 which did not!!
0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Mike Dorsett commented ·

Hi @Mike Dorsett can you share a picture of that? wat serial number does it have?

I just checked an MPII/24/5000 and it has it, see this picture:

2021-11-04-193319.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
1638101410231.png (5.0 MiB)
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniel, Thanks for the picture, though it's not clear what the blue line is indicating - The geckos we have here have a habit of crawling under the pcb's and shorting out the live contacts.

My inverter is currently packed in a container as we are relocating, and having to build new House & office. This will arrive end Jan, and I'll follow this up then.

Meanwhile - our geckos will quite happily fit through the aluminium grille on the right of the photo - this the main problem.

Mike.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Mike Dorsett commented ·
Hi @Mike Dorsett there is a plastic guard under the PCB so no animals can crawl under.

for the grille part I don't know if that will change.

What I have seen often is an insect / gecko screen in front of a complete installation, this way all components are protected.

Different locations need different precautions...here in NL it's cold and moisture that we have to keep out ;)

0 Likes 0 ·