question

brianor avatar image
brianor asked

Help needed to check caravan installation design

Hallo,

I am working on the design of a power system for a camper and would appreciate some pointers where I have it wrong (or could improve).

The following components are included:

• Victron Smart Solar MPPT 100/30
  • Victron Multiplus 12/1200/50 220V
  • Victron Cerbo GX
  • Victron BMV-712 Monitor
  • JA Solar 405W Mono Panel
  • Blue Nova LiFePO4 218AH 12V Battery

The areas I am uncertain is the connectivity between shore power and the camper's AC Distribution Board 220V (via the Multiplus), and the connection of devices to the camper's DC Distribution Board 12V (see picture of control panel in camper). Also, the use/spec of fuses/breakers in the circuit?

img-12051.jpg

BL Wiring Flat.pdf

Many thanks!

cerbo gxmultiple inverterswiring diagram
img-12051.jpg (285.7 KiB)
bl-wiring-flat.pdf (475.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The wiring diagram you provide looks correct. Note that the neutral for the AC input to the Multi needs to be isolated from the neutral in the distribution panel. So a shore power breaker in a separate enclosure would be best. You may also want an inverter bypass to run AC devices should the inverter fail.

The DC input to the Multi should probably not go through the distribution panel. There is a huge current spike when turning on the DC due to capacitors in the Multi. This will probably trip the breaker requiring a second or third attempt. But more importantly the current could damage the breaker over time. It would be best to keep the Multi DC connected at all times. Use a fuse or breaker with a "pre-charge circuit" around it. The pre-charge circuit is a resistor across the breaker with a button you push for a few seconds prior to closing the breaker/fuse. Connecting the Multi directly to the battery would also reduce the ampacity of the connection to the DC distribution.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Nit picking, the 12V to the DC from the multi is labelled mains.

1 comment
2 |3000

brianor avatar image brianor commented ·
Thanks, the "Mains" is label on breaker on 12V DB Board in caravan (see photo above). My thinking was to use this to switch Multi power on/off without having to do so on the switch on Multi?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources