question

finalman avatar image
finalman asked

Can The SmartShunt Order The Charge Controller to Exit Absorb and Enter Float?

So I'm wondering if the SmartShunt can order the smart charge controller to exit the absorption stage and go into the float stage going by specific amount of amps entering the battery.

Obviously by doing so we can avoid two issues with time based absorptions:

1. The battery will not exit absorb to early with the battery not 100% full.
  2. The battery will spend as least as possible time at the higher voltage when 100% full.

I'm currently looking at transitioning to a Victron solar system with multiple smartsolar 150/35 charge controllers. I'm coming from a Midnite solar environment where the shunt and accompanying circuit board already do what I mentioned above.

Thanks...

EDIT:

What I've found out:

When in a V.E smart network the smartshunt broadcasts it's tail current value. The charge controller sees this and if it's less than the charge controllers internal tail current setting it ends absorb and enters float.

Confirmed by a Victron REP here.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @finalman

I'm not sure if that's possible using the Smart bluetooth network and multiple mppts. But it surely is if you have a GX device and invoke the onboard DVCC functionality.

The setting in the mppts is called the 'Tail', as distinct from the Tail function in the Smartshunt, which is for syncing. I actually purchased a SS just to do this, the SOC secondary for me.

And all serious Victron users will have a GX of some type..

This from the CerboGX (see 8.4.4). https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/dvcc---distributed-voltage-and-current-control.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

finalman avatar image
finalman answered ·

When in a V.E smart network the smartshunt broadcasts it's tail current value. The charge controller sees this and if it's less than the charge controllers internal tail current setting it ends absorb and enters float.

Confirmed by a Victron REP here.

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

It is probably best to read the smart networking manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
finalman avatar image finalman klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Straight from the V.E smart network manual:

The battery current data is used to allow the tail current setting (see the Solar Charger Manual for more details) to be used more precisely as, by having the actual battery current, the Solar Charger can decide better if absorption phase should stop and go to equalisation/float phase.

They can only mean a shunt when they say:

by having the actual battery current

Because the actual battery current is what is going into the battery and not the amount that is used by the loads that never makes it into the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

The Smart shunt is a Battery monitor, it will NOT issue any instructions to stop charge or to change anything. it just advises the voltage and the net current. all charge functions are done in the charge controller you are using.

2 |3000

finalman avatar image
finalman answered ·

OK so found I out the smart shunt's Bluetooth signal is being blocked from communicating with the charge controllers by a corrugate iron wall. I would prefer not to move the shunt further from the battery as if I move the shunt I'll have to extend the battery temperature sensor wires.

Can the V.E Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle be used with the smart shunt?

The 1.5m of cable with the Bluetooth dongle will be plenty to get around the corrugated iron wall.

2 |3000