question

lcollis avatar image
lcollis asked

Full solar Setup Advice

Hi Everyone

We're going completely offgrid due to the distance we are from power lines. I'm needing some guidance on a good offgrid setup and how to go about building it and programming it. Here's what I'm planning on using:

- Victron 48/500/70

- Victron Colour control GX

- Victron 85 amp controller

- JA Modue Solar 390W panels

- BYD 4.0kwh x4 with BMU and unit OR 4x Pylontech 3.55kwh

- Timber ground mount with flush mount system

I'm having a couple of electrician buddies coming around to give me a hand installing it all but they haven't every installed offgrid solar before.

My questions are:

1. Is installation a fairly straightforward process for your average electrician or even home handy man?

2. Is there anything I need to be aware of before we get to work?

3. Is the programming fairly straight forward?

4. Is there any issues with either of these setups or recommendations on a better setup?

5. Good bang for buck?

Thanks in advance!

offgridsetupdiy
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Start by reading all the manuals from all the components. Then read them again. After that, all settings should be easy to make.

Get a Cerbo GX (without the optional display) instead of Color Control GX. It is cheaper (without the optional display) and better (more capable).

Get a MK3-USB interface (needed to connect dirrectly to the inverter).

Use busbars (can be DIY from copper bars).

Size the wires (cross section surface area) properly.

Use fuses (not MCBs) for all positive wires connected to the battery/busbar.

You might want to add a generator for cloudy winter days.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Hire a professional to design and install it?

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Check the panel voltage compared to the controller, leave sufficient headroom for winter temps.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Offgrid page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic