question

robtor avatar image
robtor asked

Multiplus-II 48/5000 Overload

My Multiplus-II 48/5000 throws roundabout 3/4 Overload failures a day under normal operation. When looking in my grafana-Dashboard the peak Power-Consumption values does not exceed 4000W. But why does the inverter throws the overload failures and stores them in the cerbo-gx notifiction panel?

My Installation is built up by a Multiplus-II 48/5000 and eight Pylontech US2000 Plus batteries in an offgrid installation.

Multiplus-IIPylontech
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

grafana or VRM will not accurately see the peaks as the data updates too slowly, around every 5 seconds.

Also the 48/5000 is 5000VA not 5000W. 4000W is around the max sustained load you can put on it.If the ambient temperatures are higher it will be lower.

0 Likes 0 ·
robtor avatar image robtor shaneyake commented ·
Thank you, I already thought about that but I didn't remember that it was 5kVA, this would explain the warning messages
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
marv21 avatar image
marv21 answered ·

Does it shut off? If not, thats not a failure, thats a warning. It warns you it is near to Overload. You can disable this behaviour

10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robtor avatar image robtor commented ·

It does not shut off, its only the warning in the UI

But how can I disable this behavior?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ robtor commented ·
Stop overloading it!?

A short inrush current can also trigger an overload warning but is not visible in UI/log.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
@robtor

Matthias is right. It's warning you that something in your system is overloading the Multi. Maybe just a mS spike? invisible to logging.

And it's not adjustable, as it's a hard limit in the Multi. Which can handle it, but it's saying "not for long".

I had this on my 48/5000 regularly, but I knew it was related to a water pressure pump. Replaced the pump start capacitor and problem gone..

0 Likes 0 ·
robtor avatar image robtor JohnC ♦ commented ·
Thank you i will check that. But i assume that the error appears wehn the washingmachine and a deep well pump run at the same time.

Maybe I will need to add a second multiplus...

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ robtor commented ·
@robtor

That sounds familiar. Mine was a dishwasher heating cycle (2500W with other stuff) plus the (faulty) pump.

I don't recall the GX alarms annoying me, but VRM keeps them forever!!

I didn't actually consider it a serious issue, and never considered upping inverter size. Just Victron telling the full story, not hiding it..

0 Likes 0 ·
robtor avatar image robtor Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Because of @Marv21 's answer I thougt i could lower the treshold for the notification. But at least the only right solution would be to find the origin of the problem and stop the overloading or adding a second multiplus on the same phase.

I've also recognized that the overloading happens often in episodes of three:

1634904549380.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1634904549380.png (36.8 KiB)
marv21 avatar image marv21 robtor commented ·
@robtor

The other answers are confusing tbh.

The Overload Warning starts at around 3,5-5kW with the 5KW Unit. There is no caution or something you have to take care of here.

You cant lower (or better rise) the warning trigger here.

You can disable it under your Console. MultiPlus2->AlarmSetup->Overload "Only Alarm".

Ich hab während eines Trainings das auch mal angemeckert, dass es für den Laien echt verwirrend ist eine Warnung abzugeben wenn alles im grünen Bereich ist...

0 Likes 0 ·
robtor avatar image robtor marv21 commented ·

Thank you, I will try that, i've already supposed that this setting could fix the warnings

0 Likes 0 ·
zain avatar image zain commented ·
What is it does shut off? what could be the reason then? What if the system worked perfectly for a long time and suddenly experiences overload warnings and alarms causing it to shut down?
0 Likes 0 ·
zain avatar image zain zain commented ·

if*

0 Likes 0 ·
robtor avatar image
robtor answered ·

@Marv21 Did you mean turning it off by changing the following setting to Alarm only?

1634906348165.png

1634906348165.png (6.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

marv21 avatar image marv21 commented ·
Ja genau. Wenn nur Alarm, dann kommen auch nur Alarme wenn dauerhaft eine Überlast war und abgeschaltet wurde.

Ansonsten kommt es ständig.

0 Likes 0 ·
Russell avatar image
Russell answered ·

I am also having overload problems with a Multiplus ii 48 3000 35. It seems to be linked to loadshedding power dips.

screenshot-2021-10-27-08-57-17.png

screenshot-2021-10-27-08-26-10.png

The load is constant at about 150W and a load spike of 900W as the power dips due to our utility switching areas back on (maybe 8:12am). I seem to get spikes of high load which have caused overload shutdown about 3 times this month. This particular spike didn't cause an overload shutdown and didn't affect the PV inverter connected to the grid.

screenshot-2021-10-27-08-45-35.png

I am still trying to collect more data, using a pc on a ups and a battery backup for the GX device, to see if I can confirm my suspicion. It might also be caused by the borehole pump or other load here on the farm because we are near the end of the utility 11kV power line.

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

What firmware version is the multi running? Have you updated to the latest?

There was a problem in older firmware versions that would cause the inverter to overload if there were sudden grid changes. Fix now tho.

0 Likes 0 ·