question

gbmd avatar image
gbmd asked

Can I diagonally parallel 5 - 12.8v 330a/h Smart Batteries?

I am replacing 1600 amp/hours of AGM lead acid batteries with 5 – Smart 12.8v 330 amp/hours LiFePO4 batteries (1650 amp/hours total) in a 12v system. If I diagonally wire them all in parallel, this is a huge amount of power in one cable, and I also realize that 4/0 cable may not be big enough to accommodate all that power (it will be fused at 500 amps). If I wire each battery to the buss bar (on the Lynx Distributor) and fuse each positive, I will only have 4 positions on the buss to connect to. Since there are 5 batteries, if I break them into smaller parallel pieces, i.e., 2/3 or 2/2/1, the power won’t be distributed evenly among all the batteries. I am limited by the Lynx BMS to 5 batteries, otherwise I would use six.

Also, if I daisy chain all the batteries in parallel, total cable length will be 13’. All batteries wired independently to the Lynx Distributor, (keeping all lengths equal) it would be 36’ total cable (3.6’ for each cable X 10). I would love to hear your comments on the best way to wire this.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf

screenshot-20211018-205004.jpg

Do it as it is the easiest for you.

We normally wire as "diagonally"

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gbmd avatar image
gbmd answered ·

Certainly, wiring them diagonally in parallel is the easiest and cleanest way to do it. But my concern is wiring such a large bank, 12v @ 1650 amp/hours, using 4/0 cable. As long as I fuse it below the capacity of the 4/0 cable, is that OK?Victron Diagonal Parallel Battary Schematic.pdf

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic