question

mathieu-dubuc avatar image
mathieu-dubuc asked

How to charge a starter battery from leisure battery?

Goal : I want to use my vehicle's indoor lights and ventilation during the night (3A 12V).

Setup : I currently have an independant solar and battery setup (700W solar 160AH of usable LiFePO4 battery)

Proposed solution : I think I could use an Orion-TR 12/12-9 converter taking power from my leisure battery and use the cigarette lighter circuit to charge the starter battery (15A fuse so everything seem alright). (The vehicule manufacturer said it's ok to let the car at "on" for long periods if I charge the battery.)

- Will it work?

- If I start the engine and the alternator is working at the same time as the converter, will it cause problem? (alternator and converter in parallel, seems ok from the manual from the possibility of paralleling multiple converters)

- Have I other solutions?

Regards,

battery chargingOrion DC-DC Converters not smartalternatorstarter battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Orion will shut off when the starter battery voltage rises, so should be no issues, unless you have a smart alternator which may give much higher voltages than you expect. Best check max output from the car alternator and check it against the Orion specs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scraggs avatar image
scraggs answered ·

Wouldn't a Cyrix work ok in this situation ?
Would want to be wired properly though.

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Victron DC-DC converters product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic