question

Bill avatar image
Bill asked

Venus OS on PI not pingable or connectable...

Where can I download Venus OS v 2.30? I just spent the better part of a few hours trying to figure out why I couldn't access the network port on the PI even though it would get a DHCP address at each boot. A different Address each time was very confusing till I noticed the MAC address changed at each boot too. I've been an IT guy for almost 30 years and had never seen anything like that prior. I finally started googling the issue and I found a thread about that is fixed in Venus OS 2.30 which I cannot find. Can anyone let me know where I can get copy for my Pi 3 B+ ??? Please Please. -Bill

Venus OSRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

2.30 is a beta, but I guess you know that. Try here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:beta-testing

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

Found it! Will give it a whirl. And its actually worse than 2.23. No network connection at all, the light on the port for speed indication doesn't even light up. And no link light just like 2.23. Bummer.

I guess I am screwed as it seems to say the Raspberry B+ only works with 2.30 or higher.. And that doesn't work either. I thought the B+ was well over a year old. -Bill

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

The Raspberry Pi version of Venus was always a bit of a side project.

I don’t watch that community very closely so this might be wrong, but I think one of the more active volunteer contributors that worked on keeping the Pi compatible with Venus began working for Victron and put more time instead into contributing to the CCGX and VGX versions.

It has always required a higher level of IT technical knowledge to get going, and with more hardware versions of Raspberri Pi than ever, it’s quite a big job to keep everything compatible.

The main supported project continues with more momentum, and now some of the contributors that used to work on the Pi.

2 |3000

Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

Got it. Thanks. I will go back to v2.23 and see if I can make that work. So far its the closest version I tried to almost work. Just have to figure out the random MAC address changes, probably lead to getting a link light too.

2 |3000

Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

OMG 2.30 is working on my Raspberry Pi B+ Originally I thought there was a cabling issue with v 2.23 and had tried a bunch of patch cables I had lying around. I actually ended up with the last one attached that didn't work, but it didn't matter as the build didn't work. So last night when I tried the newly downloaded v2.30 it did not work and I got discusted and quit trying. Today I wanted to figure out what was going on and retried one of the other patch cables and when I attached the first one that I originally started testing v2.23 with started working with v2.30. Although I do not see a green link light at all, The Yellow "speed" light is on and I am able to web into the RP GX device. YAHOO! -Bill

Guess I now need to read the instructions to figure out how I generate that special key so I can add it to the VRM Portal. I don't have one on the box..

2 |3000

robinjay avatar image
robinjay answered ·

If you haven't resolved the ethernet issue:

I have a RPi 3 b+ with the RPi 7" touchscreen that wasn't doing anything. After discovering about Venus OS, I installed 2.23 on it. It went fine, got an IP address, but wouldn't talk to anything. The problem is the ethernet driver. It needs to be bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb that is available on github.com/victronenergy/venus. Apparently the hardware is different from the 3b. You have to edit the driver name in config.txt. I don't remember where this information came from, maybe "Community". Other useful features are: touchscreen calibration, screen resizing (800x480 also in config.txt), screen brightness control, and blanking. This howto is available from "himmelberger bus" video on YT. The Rpi also sees the wi-fi usb dongle which used to be on my satellite receiver, also an Adafruit Ultimate GPS breakout through the FTDI Friend. On the GPS unit, everything works except the Product, Product ID and Firmware version information. A teardrop shows up next to the screen time if the GPS has a fix, so I guess the GPS time has priority over internet time. Pretty happy so far.

2 comments
2 |3000

robinjay avatar image robinjay commented ·

Updated on-line to 2.3

Lost all modifications and root password back to none. GPS still works (Adafruit uses the MTK3339 chipset)

Have the gui back on the pi and touchscreen working and calibrated. My notes were lacking a few details.

Still to go: restore brightness control and blanking,

Received replacement fuses from Thomaston today for the BMV-712 and temp sensor.

Good support from Maine.

0 Likes 0 ·
robinjay avatar image robinjay robinjay commented ·

Update:

Screen brightness control works as before.

Screen blanking didn't. Had to change contents (just one line) of file

/etc/venus/blank_display_device

to

/sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank

System is now operating as it did under 2.23.

0 Likes 0 ·