question

Marcus avatar image
Marcus asked

Multiplus 12/3000/120-16 and CerboGX with LiFePO4

Hello,
On my boat I am upgrading the electrical system from AGM batteries, 16 year old charger to VICTRON with LiFePO4.
For this I have already installed a CerboGX with MPPT for Solar and this winter I am going to replace the old charger and the old AGM batteries with LiFePO4 2x 280aH 12V batteries as well as the Multiplus 12/3000/120-16.
In the description of the Multiplus I cannot find how to connect the Cerbo with the Multiplus, as I only find two RJ45 connections for a Remote, which I do not plan to buy.
Is this even possible?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gxLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @ObiOne

Of course it's possible. Those RJ45's in the Multi are VE.Bus, not to be confused with Ethernet or Can. Maybe you haven't found the manual yet?.. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/installation.html

I've always said that Victron comms are somewhat challenging, but you get that with the best. Great choice, you'll love it once you get past the minor detail.. :)

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Marcus avatar image Marcus commented ·
I found that, I was just puzzled, because the manual of the Multiplus does only talk about Remotes, but not about Cerbo or a network functionality. But perfect, then I planned everything correct. :-D
0 Likes 0 ·
vtoddball avatar image vtoddball Marcus commented ·

I saw the same thing. The manual only mentions remotes, not that these could be hooked up to the VEBus. It does show up when I plug one of those ports into the VEBus. but it appears that all the features are not available. I'm worried I may have to buy the interface.

0 Likes 0 ·
Marcus avatar image Marcus commented ·
But all the cables are the same, right?

VE.BUS, CAN.BUS, Ethernet -> all RJ45/CAT6 cables?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Marcus commented ·
@ObiOne

Yes, all just straight too, not crossover or anything exotic. But use quality ones..

0 Likes 0 ·
oldwave avatar image
oldwave answered ·

Yes attach the multiplus to the Cerbo for remote and local monitoring as well as remote configuration, though it’s not straight forward as you have to down load and upload the configuration rather than real time. I love the Cerbo inspite of a few victron devices not supported, mainly the Bluetooth alone products.

2 |3000